Melissa is a certified food scientist with over 20 years in the food industry. New food development and matching are her specialties.
Even kids who don't like vegetables like this (source: Mom of picky boys). Get to know marjoram. It has purported health benefits and tastes great in chicken dishes.
- 3 chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 pound bacon ends, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 parsnip, medium diced
- 2 medium carrots, medium diced
- 1 stalk celery, medium diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, medium diced
- 2 green onions, sliced with white ends separated
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces linguine noodles, cooked in salt water and drained
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 slice American cheese
- 16 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, with 1/3 reserved for topping
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
Read More From Delishably
- Preheat a fry pan over high heat.
- Mix the chicken thighs with the marjoram, paprika, garlic powder, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the bacon to the fry pan and render the fat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until done. (Note: Do not scrape the bottom of the fry pan. Let the chicken and bacon brown, but don't scrape the bottom of the pan as there will be heavy browning.)
- Transfer the meat to a bowl. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of the fat rendered in a small bowl, and wash the brown crust out of the fry pan.
- Return the fry pan to medium heat. Add the rendered fat and the chopped vegetables(retaining tops of green onions for garnish). Saute for 4 to 7 minutes until vegetables are softened but retain their structure.
- Add the chicken and bacon back to the fry pan. Add chicken stock, cover, and simmer on low while you prepare the pasta and sauce.
- Prepare the pasta a minute or two short of the recommended cooking instructions. Strain and add to the fry pan.
- In the pan you boiled the pasta in, melt the butter over low heat. Once the butter is melted add the half and half. Salt and pepper. Add the cream cheese and break it up while it melts. Stirring constantly, add the remaining cheeses (reserving 1/3 of the cheddar). Once smooth, pour over the pasta mixture.
- Transfer all ingredients to a 8x10 casserole pan. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes at 350˚F, just to melt the cheese and let the flavors blend. Slice like lasagna and top with remaining green onions.
What did you think?
© 2017 Melissa Holton