Slow-Cooker Curry Chicken
Rate This Recipe!!
A Request Turns Into A Challenge
About a year ago, my husband told me that he wanted me to make curry chicken. I stared at him like he had lost his mind. I am not Indian; I have never cooked Indian food—let alone even eaten Indian food. What would I know about making curry chicken? I was at a loss.
Then, I did a little research. I saw this as a challenge, a chance to show my husband that no matter what he throws at me, I will not only succeed, I will blow him away. My husband and I are rather competitive and always driving the other to do our best and exceed our own expectations.
After a lot of trial and error, and some disappointing dinners, I finally perfected my curry chicken recipe. It turned out so good that he ended up taking some to work, and sharing it with a co-worker, who's father moved here from India as a young man. She was blown away. A person who has no Indian background, had never made or eaten Indian food before this experiment, had made a phenomenal curry chicken. This recipe is very easy to make, and it is delicious!!
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 lg red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 lg yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbs soy sauce, (low sodium prefered)
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 1/3 Cup water
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil, (peanut oil, or other light oil can be used)
- 6 servings rice
- Cut up the chicken, the peppers, the onions, and the garlic.
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker, except for the rice. Stir to combine the ingredients, and cover.
- Set the slow cooker to low, and let cook for 7-9 hours, or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. When I am in a hurry, I will let it cook on low for about 5 hours, and then turn it up to medium-high for an hour. This does not seem to affect the taste.
- Cook the rice according to the package directions. Basmati rice is a great choice for this recipe, but almost any rice will do.
Meal Planning Note
I know a lot of people that plan, and make a few weeks, or a month's worth of meals all at once. This is a great dinner idea for this sort of meal planning, as it can be cooked and then frozen for up to a month. Freeze the rice separately, or just make rice on the day you plan to thaw and heat the curry chicken.
Questions & Answers
© 2014 Anna Marie Bowman