Ryan Thomas is a university student who enjoys cooking recipes from a wide variety of culinary traditions.
I often find baked chicken to be sorely lacking in flavor, which is why I was pleased to discover this recipe. Here, the chicken is elegant, refined, and brilliantly flavorful.
At the very least, chicken has the advantage of being an excellent canvas upon which to paint the flavors that are desired by the chef. This is in contrast to the more stubborn meats, which must be cajoled and carefully shepherded to modify their flavors—and are really better left alone.
In this case, the combination of a wide variety of herbs and seasonings combine with strong and potent mustard to produce a delicately flavored chicken, enriched as it stews in its juices while baking in the oven. The sauce, which is surprisingly sweet and tart, finishes off this brilliant centerpiece for any meal.
I have adapted this recipe from La cuisine française: la + simple du monde.
- 3 pounds chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup mustard
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 12 liquid oz white wine
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 4 tablespoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon taragon
- 1 lemon
- Cut the chicken breasts in half, or into smaller pieces. Season with plentiful salt and pepper. Place into a casserole dish and add the juice of the lemon.
- Combine together the chopped garlic cloves, rosemary, tarragon, thyme, basil, and vegetable oil. Then add in the mustard and stir together until smooth. Add plentiful salt and pepper.
- Coat the chicken pieces with the mustard and herbs sauce.
- Pour the wine into the casserole dish until it nearly covers the chicken. Place into a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce, place onto a serving platter, and pour the sauce over the chicken when it is served.
© 2019 Ryan Thomas
Liz Westwood from UK on May 27, 2019:
This sounds like a tasty chicken dish. Great illustrations.
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on May 20, 2019:
This sounds delicious. I'll definitely try this. =)