Recipe Inspired by Bosnian and Russian Flavors
Typically, I don't care for hamburgers that much—but I began to rethink my position during a recent trip to Bosnia. There, I was highly impressed by their national dish, cevapi, a type of sausage with an incredibly savory and delicious flavor.
Back home, I lacked the ingredients to make cevapi, yet I hit upon the idea of creating a dish that would be similar but would also borrow elements from a recipe I have for Russian hamburgers, called kotleti.
Thus this recipe was born. The beef is enriched and made milder with crème fraîche, garlic provides a savory tang, a bit of spice appears from cayenne, and paprika adds its distinctive flavor. The onions meld in a sharpness, the cheese adds a bit of decadent richness, and the mushrooms add some heartiness. Finally, the entire thing is breaded with flour and fried in butter. Delicious!
This recipe is entirely my own.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1 onion
- 1 white mushroom
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg white
- 6 tablespoons butter
- flour, to bread hamburger patties
- 2 oz soft white cheese, (should be sweet, solid enough to hold together, I used Laughing Cow cheese)
- Combine the ground beef, crème fraîche, minced mushroom, minced garlic, paprika, and cayenne. Mix well.
- Add in the egg white, then the onion which should either be chopped very finely or minced. Add salt and pepper. Mix everything together consistently. Add in the chopped cheese pieces and combine in a way that does not crush them. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place flour on a plate and place individual meat patties of desired size on it. Bread the meat patties.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Once the butter is hot, place as many patties on it as will fit. Sauté for several minutes at least on each side, until they are not pink on the interior anymore and have a pleasantly fried exterior.
My Russian Hamburger Recipe
If you liked this recipe, you might also like my Russian hamburgers. This recipe combines ground beef with plentiful garlic, dill, and onions, which are then shaped into patties, breaded with breadcrumbs, and fried in butter to produce a deliciously vibrant and tasty hamburger.
© 2018 Ryan Thomas