Deliciously Savory Sautéed Onion, Beef, Garlic, and Crème Fraîche Hamburger Recipe
I don't like normal hamburgers that much, as I find them rather boring. Recently, while in Bosnia, I was highly impressed by the Bosnian national dish, cevapi, a type of sausage of an incredibly savory and delicious flavor, simple but addictive, especially with bread and onions. Back home, I lacked the ingredients to make this cevapi, yet I hit upon the idea of creating a dish that would be similar but would also borrow elements from a recipe I have for Russian hamburgers.
Thus was born this recipe, which if unfortunately without any pretensions to national patrimony as claimed by the Russian kotleti or the Bosnian cevapi, is still wonderfully delicious. The beef is enriched and made milder with crème fraîche, garlic provides its savory tang, a bit of spice appears from cayenne and paprika adds its distinctive flavor, onions meld in a sharpness, cheese a bit of decadent richness in its splotches throughout, mushrooms their good, hearty flesh, salt and pepper complete it like an artist's portrait... and then the entire thing is breaded with flour and fried in butter. The result, I am sure, is certain to be something absolutely atrocious for the arteries, but at the same time a godsend and a wonder for the soul and the taste buds!
This recipe is entirely my own.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1 onion
- 1 white mushroom
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne red pepper
- 1 egg white
- 6 tablespoons butter
- flour, to bread hamburger patties
- 2 oz soft white cheese, (should be sweet, solid enough to hold together, I used Laughing Cow cheese)
- Combine together the ground beef, the crème fraîche, minced mushroom, minced garlic, paprika, and cayenne. Combine together.
- Add in the egg white, then the onion which should either be chopped very finely or minced. Salt and pepper, mix everything together consistently. Add in the cheese pieces which have been chopped reasonably small, and combine into it in a way which does not crush them. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place flour on a plate, and place individual meat patties of desired size on it. Bread the meat patties.
- In a skillet, preferably of large size, melt the butter. Once the butter is hot, place as many patties on it at once as one can. Sauté for several minutes at least on each side, until they are not pink on the interior any more and have a pleasantly fried exterior.
If you liked this recipe, you might also like my Russian hamburgers. This recipe combines ground beef with plentiful garlic, dill, and onions, which are then shaped into patties, breaded with breadcrumbs, and fried in butter to produce a deliciously vibrant and tasty hamburger.