Victoria is a stay-at-home mom, author, educator, and blogger at Healthy at Home. She currently lives in Colorado with her family.
Since we are moving into the fall season, I've been trying to think of some yummy fall dishes to serve. Looking through my refrigerator and pantry, I spied some chicken, apples, and asparagus—and I knew I had the perfect makings for a yummy meal. I love the fall, and I love apple-themed dishes!
It was already 5 p.m., so I opted for the Instant Pot option and chopped my chicken smaller so that it would cook faster. I tossed all of my ingredients into the Instant Pot, used apple cider vinegar for more apple flavor, added honey to sweeten up the dish, and voila! The couscous came in because it was fast to make, and my rice cooker (Instant Pot) was being used.
Dinner doesn't have to be complicated or take a long time to make. Honestly, if I just had chicken and a veggie, I could have covered them in just about any kind of sauce and tossed them into the oven as well. Pasta sauce, preserves, Ranch dressing, onion soup mix, or even Alfredo sauce would all have been amazing! Since I can make any and all of these sauces from home myself, I always have tons of yummy options.
You could even use a variety of veggies in place of the asparagus. Carrots, potatoes, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, or even green beans or cauliflower would have been delicious in this dish. Feel free to mix and match to get the dish you are craving.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Dinner for 4 adults
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 1 pound asparagus spears, (or other veggie)
- 3 apples
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1/4-1/2 cup honey
- Thaw your chicken breasts, if needed, and slice them into large chunks. Place them into the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Cut the ends off of your asparagus spears, and then cut them in half. Place them on top of your chicken pieces.
- Core and slice up your apples. Spread them on top of your veggies.
- Add in your apple cider vinegar, salt, rosemary, and honey.
- Close and lock your Instant Pot and set to manual for 10 minutes.
- I let the Instant Pot naturally depressurize, but you could release the pressure yourself right away if you'd like.
- For your couscous, heat a bowl of water in the microwave or on the stove for a couple minutes. Take off heat and add dry couscous. Cover and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Yum! Serve your meal with your couscous.
If you don't have an Instant Pot but would still like this meal, try tossing all of your ingredients into a well-greased casserole dish and baking it at 375 for 30 minutes. You could even toss this into the crockpot and cook on low for about 3-4 hours. In fact, even a covered pot on the stove would work if you brown and saute your chicken breasts for a bit first.
Don't have apples? What about pears, peaches or apricots? Or even applesauce. This dish doesn't even need the fruit, but boy were those apples yummy! To round out this meal, why not serve some yummy peach cobbler, peach and berry pie, or apple pie? You can even make your own homemade vanilla ice cream to serve your breakfast a la mode.
Be on the lookout for many more great fall-themed dinner recipes to really bring the season into your home this year. But these don't just have to be eaten during the fall by any means. Enjoy this dish all year round. Be sure to check out my collection of yummy recipes for even more dinner ideas!
© 2018 Victoria Van Ness