Ideas for Dinner
Having this canned protein ready to go is great because you can store it in your pantry for basically as long as you need to. Some brands are even 98 percent fat-free. You can make quick chicken salads, chicken wraps, or throw the chicken in the soup to add some protein and flavor. Let me share some specific recipes with you!
There are many easy combinations that you can throw together quickly when using canned chicken as your main source of protein. For instance, a can of chicken and a few other ingredients will make this easy chicken burger recipe that's just below. This recipe is economical, quick, and is sure to please those who love burgers.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
One 13 ounce can will yield four burgers
- 1 (13 ounce can) of chunk chicken
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon oregano, basil, garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry chile pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- sesame oil
- Drain the can of chicken.
- Break up the chunks with a fork.
- Add oats and flaxmeal
- Add chopped onion, green pepper and cheese.
- Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
- Add the spices, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil a large frying pan.
- Make chicken patties with your hands. Make sure they are very firm. They should be at room temperature for cooking.
- Add the patties to the frying pan and turn over at least once until the are lightly browned.
- Serve the burger on toasted whole-grain rolls with lettuce, tomatoes, and sliced cucumbers.
- Add mayonnaise and mustard to your taste.
- Serve with a green salad, potato salad, or pasta salad.
Ideas for Dinner
- Mix a can of chicken with two tablespoons of sour cream, chopped celery, one-half cup of walnuts, chopped red peppers, and chopped black olives.
- Add some garlic powder, lemon pepper spice, basil, and oregano to taste.
- Mix a can of chicken with two tablespoons of mayonnaise, black olives, and sesame seeds.
- Add a teaspoon of curry powder, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Spread Dijon mustard on the tortilla shell or lavash bread, add two lettuce leaves and a scoop of the chicken mixture, and then roll up for the wrap.
Chicken and Rice
- Cook your rice according to directions.
- Brown garlic and one onion in sesame oil until tender.
- Add finely chopped sweet red peppers.
- Add a teaspoon of cumin, cayenne pepper, ginger, and season salt.
- Blend the chicken mixture in the rice.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on April 07, 2020:
With people now staying at home because of the coronavirus, they will be looking at how to use pantry items. Your recipe suggestions all sound good. Stay well!
Umesh Chandra Bhatt from Kharghar, Navi Mumbai, India on February 16, 2020:
A good collection of chicken recipes. Nice compilation.
Jen on November 17, 2017:
Chicken encheladas is my go to, and looking for new ideas, thinking the rice one might be right up my alley
carol stanley (author) from Arizona on November 30, 2012:
Thanks for coming by and I always keep a can also for a variety of recipes. THink you might like it.
Faythe Payne from USA on November 29, 2012:
Great ideas..I always have kirkland canned chicken in my cupboard..But all ever knew to do with it was mix with mayo slap it on some bread and call it a sandwich.....I am going to tru the chicken burgar first off..thank you..voted up
carol stanley (author) from Arizona on July 15, 2012:
I just like to have food around that I can whip up something without having to defrost or go to the store. And this chicken dish fills that bill. I also make great chicken salads with canned chicken. Thanks so much for dropping by.
Barbara Badder from USA on July 14, 2012:
I've got some extra cans of chicken here and a son that doesn't think beef is healthy. I'll have to try this.