Easy Chicken Leg Quarters in the Crock Pot
This is a great, comforting, warm meal in the cold of winter. It is also great to make in the summer because it is made in the slow cooker and does not make your kitchen hot like the oven will. I hope it turns into one of my kids' favorite home-cooked meals when they grow up. I think it is a dish they will try to recreate once they are out on their own or if they miss home during college—at least, I hope so!
One thing that is really great about this recipe is that it can be used on chicken or pork. This dish just has a wonderful taste that goes with whatever kind of meat you choose. It can also be served with mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice. So you can really mix this up and make it your family's new favorite dish. You can also add a 1/4 cup white wine to the sauce if you want a little extra tang. I would lessen the amount of water by 1/4 cup if you add wine. I like it a lot with the wine; I just did not happen to have any on hand when I made this the other night.
This dish is also very flavorful, quick, and easy to prepare. It literally only takes the time you need to rinse and pat dry the chicken, then it takes about 2 minutes to mix up the sauce. I suppose if you'd like to make it a bit healthier, you could eliminate the cream of chicken soup. If you do that, I would use a can of chicken broth in place of it or a chicken bouillon cube dissolved in a cup of warm water. Then add in the drained mushroom pieces, cover, and cook about 4-5 hours on low. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts will cook faster than bone-in chicken leg quarters. So keep an eye on your chicken or pork. Enjoy your meal!
- 4 leg quarters chicken, drumstick and thigh
- 1 package dry Italian seasoning
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 4 oz (small can) drained, sliced mushrooms, you can use fresh mushrooms if you like
- Gently wash and pat dry chicken leg quarters. Salt and pepper each piece. I left the skin on my chicken leg quarters this time. I might remove most of it the next time I make this dish. I am used to cooking with no skins and wanted more flavor, so I left the skins on this time. It did help keep the chicken very moist, but made the gravy a little greasier than I am used to.
- Spray crock pot lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Place leg quarters on top of each other in the slow cooker. In a small bowl, soften the cream cheese in the microwave, about 25 seconds.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, the softened cream cheese, the dry Italian seasoning, and 1/2 cup water. Pour soup mixture over chicken in the slow cooker.
- Drain the can of mushrooms or use sliced fresh mushrooms. Pour over chicken in the crock pot and cover. Cook on low for 5 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles and enjoy!