Easy Chicken Tortilla Bake Recipe
Ooey, gooey, and cheesy; this chicken dish is sure to please. I love this recipe not only because it whips up fast, but also because it is super easy and flavorful. There are so many different flavor profiles you can use for this recipe, as well, and I will give you some of my favorite ideas below.
I love that I can tailor this dinner to meet the tastes and preferences of my family. I make this in a large casserole dish, which allows me the option to split the flavors in two. This works out great for my spice-loving hubby. He can get all his favorite Mexican spices and salsa while the kids can have their "plain Jane" cheese, all in one dish, without me having to make two completely separate dinners. To cut this recipe in half, you could even use pre-cooked chicken. Something like a rotisserie chicken or leftover shredded chicken would be great for this!
My husband absolutely loves chicken and insists on having it multiple times a week. The kids, on the other hand, would prefer if I didn't make chicken at all. For this reason, I am finding new ways to turn this meat into something my children will enjoy, as well.
I like this recipe because I can change it up every time I make it. This is a nice twist on enchiladas, as the tortillas do not completely encase the chicken and cheese. I prefer the lasagna layers of this bake as you get different textures from the placement of the tortillas. The top and bottom layer have a crispy crunch, while the middle layers are soft and pillowy, as the tortillas blend and melt into the cheeses and cream.
Depending on the number of people you are looking to feed the amount of the ingredients will change. Below I will be providing enough to feed approximately four people or to fit in a 13x9in baking dish. I will also provide details on how to make this dish for two.
Chicken Bake for Four:
- 8 chicken breasts, boneless
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (cream of chicken also works)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4-6 soft tortilla shells, torn into strips
- 2-3 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup salsa, optional
- 1/2 - 1 cup chilies or peppers, optional
Chicken Bake for Two:
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3-4 soft shell tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Cut chicken breasts in cubes or strips. Season to taste. ( I use salt, pepper, and little bit of garlic powder.)
- Grill chicken until cooked through.
- In a small bowl, mix cream of mushroom soup and the sour cream.
- Layer the bottom of a greased 13X9 baking dish with soft tortilla shells.
- Add the cream mixture.
- Spread chicken evenly over the top (if using chilies or peppers add those as well).
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese. (If adding salsa, do that before or after adding the cheese.)
- Continue steps 4-7 until pan is full (End with tortilla shells on top). Makes about 3 to 4 layers.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 45 mintues or until golden brown and bubbly.
Additional Flavor Profiles
The above recipe is more geared toward Mexican flavors, as we use this as a replacement for taco Tuesdays. However, there are so many other options to choose from.
You could go veggie heavy with:
- green onions
- black olives
Or you could take the ooey, gooey route and load it with up with more cheeses and cream sauce.
I could even see this being a hit, as a spicy bbq bake. Combine chicken with:
- paprika and chili powder
- bbq sauce
- cheese (optional)
This recipe is versatile and can be made to cater to any flavor combination. The possibilities are truly endless for this simple and quick dinner idea.
This easy dinner is filling enough to stand alone; however, if desired, it can also be served with broccoli and cheese, mixed seasonal veggies, refried beans, or rice.
Chicken tortilla bake is my go-to comfort meal for these long, cold months ahead. The possibilities for this cheesy, creamy chicken bake are truly endless. Fill it with the flavors that your family loves, and enjoy!
© 2013 Cholee Clay