Easy Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken Recipe
Rotisserie Chicken Recipe
Easy Crockpot Recipe
When my day has been super busy and there is no time to prepare dinner, one of my favorite items to pick up from the store is a rotisserie chicken. Obviously, whoever thought of placing those delicious smelling birds right up front next to the checkout lanes is a genius. My stomach will instantly start growling and suddenly I feel a strong urge to buy one. To help save money on my rotisserie chicken addiction, I found an easy crockpot recipe that you can make at home in your slow cooker.
So next time you are at the store, just say no to that tempting batch of chickens! Instead, buy the following ingredients to make this delicious homemade rotisserie chicken that your whole family will love!
Rotisserie Chicken Recipe
Rotisserie Chicken Nutrition
|Serving size: 6|
|Calories from Fat||117|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 13 g||20%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 8 g|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 82 g||164%|
|Cholesterol 227 mg||76%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 4 lb whole chicken
- 2 tspn salt
- 2 tspn paprika
- 1 tspn onion powder
- 1 tspn thyme
- 1/2 tspn garlic powder
- 1/4 tspn red pepper
- 1/4 tspn black pepper
- 1/2 medium sized onion, sliced in rings
How to Make Rotisserie ChickenClick thumbnail to view full-size
Don't be afraid to add more vegetables to the bottom of the crockpot. If you would like to prevent them from soaking in the liquid, stuff them inside the cavity of the chicken. You can also make 3 to 4 balls of aluminum foil and place in bottom of crockpot to help raise the chicken out of the liquid. Here are a few options you can add:
Rotisserie Chicken Instructions
- If frozen, properly thaw out whole chicken in refrigerator or microwave. Once thawed, rinse bird under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Remove bag of giblets located inside cavity of chicken.
- To prepare spice mixture, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, garlic powder, red pepper, and black pepper in small bowl. Once the chicken is completely dry, rub spice mixture on the inside and outside of bird.
- Slice half of a medium sized onion into rings and place on bottom of crockpot. For a little more flavor, I added a couple of rings inside the chicken.
- Place chicken breast side up on top of onion rings in crockpot. There is no need to add water. The slow cooking of the chicken brings out plenty of juices to properly cook this recipe.
- Turn crockpot setting to high and let cook for 4 to 5 hours. My crockpot is a newer model and was ready after 4 hours and 15 minutes. If you prefer to cook on the low setting, double the above cooking time. The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 160 degrees when done.
- Once the cooking time is complete, carefully remove chicken out of crockpot. This chicken is fall off the bone delicious so don't be surprised if your bird doesn't make it to the plate as picture perfect as you had planned.
- Allow time to cool and serve with your favorite side dishes. (Note: If you prefer for the skin to be more well done, place on baking pan and broil for 3 to 5 minutes.)
Easy Whole Chicken Recipe
This rotisserie chicken is so easy and one of our family's favorite whole chicken crockpot recipes. I usually make southern style baked beans and creamy mashed potatoes to serve as side dishes to compliment this delicious chicken.
If there are any leftovers, save the chicken to add to your favorite soups, casserole dishes, or any other favorite recipes. Also be sure to save the leftover bones, skin, and cooking juices to create a large batch of homemade chicken stock. You definitely get your money's worth when you make this great recipe!
I hope you have found an easy and delicious chicken recipe for your crockpot or slow cooker. If you have any questions or comments about this recipe, feel free to leave these in the comment section below. You also have the option of giving a rating for this recipe up above. Hope your family enjoys dinner!