Stuffed Bell Peppers
I've made many different versions of stuffed bell peppers. Some recipes have been Italian, whereas others have been Mexican. Some recipes have called for ground pork, whereas others have called for ground turkey or sausage. With so many different delicious preparations, this dish has become one of my favorites.
I prefer to use green bell peppers because they are not as sweet as the yellow or red variety. I also like to add tomato soup and canned tomatoes to give the sauce a tangy flavor.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
1 hour 35 min
Serves 2–4 people
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 raw egg
- 1 package Knorr Spanish Rice
- 1 tablespoon garlic, powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 4 bell peppers (I prefer green), cut long ways in half take out the seeds and the core
- 2 (10 3/4 oz) cans tomato soup
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 8 cubes Velveeta cheese, optional cheese of your choice
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Set the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together the raw ground beef, egg, onions, ketchup and seasonings.
- Cook the Spanish rice as directed on the package. When done, set it aside and let it cool down a little.
- When the rice is warm not steaming hot anymore. Add it to the ground beef mixture and mix it all together.
- Wash the peppers and cut them lengthwise.
- Put a cube of cheese at the bottom of the bell pepper.
- Fill the bell pepper with the meat mixture.
- Put the filled bell peppers in a deep baking pan.
- Pour the tomato soup, 1/2 cup water, and cubed tomatoes into the pan and on top of the bell peppers. Sprinkle some garlic powder on top of everything.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes then, uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Questions & Answers
Question: Your recipe calls for an egg, where does it go?
Answer: It mixes in with the meat mixture.
© 2019 Ramona