Eye of Round Roast Beef Dinner Recipe
Many people think that eye of round is a tough cut of meat. If you follow my recipe, you will find that it will come out juicy and very flavorful. I tend to think the secret of cooking cheaper cuts of meat is to not overcook them. If you do not like rare to medium rare .then cook this roast longer than what I did.
- 7 pound Eye of Round Beef Roast
- 4 - 6 Garlic Cloves, Sliced Thin
- 4 Celery Stalks or carrots
- Montreal Steak Seasoning or seasoning of your choice
Preparing the Eye of Round Roast
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut slits into the beef and insert the garlic slices.
- Rub the meat with your seasonings.
- Place stalks of celery or carrots into the bottom of a roasting pan and add water up to the celery.
- Place the roast with the fat side up on top of the celery and into the oven.
- Cook for 2 hours for medium rare. My oven tends to be on the hotter side so you may want to adjust this time depending on how you like your meat cooked and how your oven works.
- You may want to check the roast to make sure that you still have enough water in the bottom of the pan while the meat is cooking, about an hour or an hour and a half after you've put it into the oven.
- Remove roast from the pan and let sit on a plate or cutting board for at least five minutes before carving.
Why The Celery or Carrots?
I hate to scrub roasting pans, so I've found an easy way to clean the roasting pan. If you add celery or carrots to the bottom of the pan with water. the meat, chicken, or turkey does not tend to stick to the pan. If I do not have celery on hand I will peel and slice carrots or leave whole to use instead of the celery. The carrots will come out tasty and you have another side dish for your dinner.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Wash and cut potatoes into chunks and boil. I don't peel my potatoes as there are many nutrients in the skin. Once boiled mash, add milk, butter or margarine and 4-5 cloves of grated garlic.
I served the roast with Garlic Mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.
You may want to add a salad, another vegetable of your choice and perhaps some dinner rolls. I always like roast beef with horseradish sauce.
Leftovers? No Problem
If you have leftovers, this roast can be sliced thinly to make hot roast beef sandwiches, beef stir-fry or beef fried rice. Save the roast drippings to make a delicious gravy.
Many times, I will buy this type of a roast, and before freezing, I'll cut the roast into steaks.
Let Me Know If You Liked It!
How did it go? Was it delicious? How did you add your own twist to this dish?
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Susan Zutautas