I enjoy writing on topics centered around family life, including recipes, holiday and party ideas, DIY crafts, frugal living, and parenting.
Chicken Fajita Casserole
Easy Family Recipe: Chicken Fajita Casserole
If your family enjoys Mexican food, they will absolutely love this easy and delicious recipe for chicken fajita casserole. This tasty dish will make your mouth water with all of the yummy layers filled with tortillas, refried beans, seasoned chicken, cheese, and fresh veggies. Be sure to serve with all of your favorite fajita toppings and sides for a very filling meal that the whole family will enjoy.
This all-in-one fajita dish feeds our family of four and leaves enough leftovers to prepare another yummy Mexican feast later on in the week. If you wish to prepare this delicious and easy to make casserole dish, read further to find a list of ingredients, step-by-step directions with pictures, helpful tips for preparation, and several ideas for how to serve these tasty leftovers.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
Serves 6–8 people
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1 can (16 oz) refried beans
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies, mild
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 8 flour tortillas, 6–8 inch in diameter
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 onion, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups mexican style shredded cheese
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- cooking spray
Read More From Delishably
How to Make Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Slice 3 chicken breasts into small, thin strips. Warm 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a skillet and add strips of chicken. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until juices run clear.
- While cooking the chicken, cut a whole green pepper and half of an onion into small, thin strips.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 13x9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix together refried beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, and oregano. Add cooked chicken and stir well.
- Spread 1/2 cup of above mixture to the bottom of a baking dish. Add 4 flour tortillas to the bottom of the dish, overlapping if necessary.
- Add half of the remaining mixture to the top of the tortillas. Sprinkle half of the green peppers and onions over mixture. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese over the dish.
- Add 4 more flour tortillas and repeat layers in step 6. Wrap with aluminum foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 5–10 minutes before serving.
Helpful Tips for Chicken Fajita Casserole
The above recipe is my family's favorite way to prepare this casserole dish. There have been times that I have made slight adjustments due to being short on time, not having an ingredient on the list, or just playing around with this recipe to see which way is better. Here are a few helpful tips that may come in handy if you wish to try out this dish:
- If you are running short on time, substitute a package of precooked seasoned chicken strips from the freezer. This kind of chicken will save you 20 minutes on the cooking time.
- If you are out of any of the spices listed above in the ingredients, use a package of fajita or taco seasoning mix to replace all the spices. Both of these mixes work great in this recipe.
- If you prefer more tender vegetables in your fajitas, sauté the green peppers and onions for a few minutes before adding them to this casserole dish.
- If you don't have fresh veggies on hand, substitute a bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables. Make sure to completely thaw the bag before adding in these vegetables.
Chicken Fajita Casserole Poll
Family Meal Ideas for Chicken Fajita Casserole Leftovers
When we make this delicious casserole recipe, we usually have 5 to 6 servings left in the baking dish. Instead of just serving the same meal later on in the week, try one of these ideas for how to serve your family chicken fajita casserole leftovers:
- Chicken Fajita Nachos: Warm up the casserole in the oven. Spread tortilla chips over a large platter and add the casserole on top of the chips. Add additional toppings such as black olives, sour cream, salsa, and jalapenos.
- Chicken Fajita Tostadas: Heat up the casserole and tostada shells in the oven. Add a serving of the chicken fajita casserole inside the tostada shell. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream.
- Chicken Fajitas over Mexican Rice: Prepare a package of Mexican rice on the stovetop while reheating the casserole in the oven. Pour a serving of rice on a plate and top with casserole leftovers. Add any desired toppings to complete the dish.
I hope I have tempted you enough to try out this delicious and easy to make chicken fajita casserole dish. It has quickly become one of our family's favorite meals. In addition to being so tasty, I love this casserole because I can quickly throw together a second Mexican inspired meal in no time which comes in handy with our busy schedule. If you have any questions or comments about this recipe, feel free to leave these in the comment section below.
Rate this Casserole Recipe
© 2012 Alissa Roberts