Fluffy Dumplings Recipe (for Chicken and Dumplings)
When I hear the words "comfort food," I instantly think dumplings. Growing up, my mom made chicken and dumplings on a fairly regular basis. My mom used a pre-made mix for hers. I loved my mom's dumplings, but that was just it, they weren't hers. I always thought that it was cheating to use a mix for this dinner, delicious, but still cheating. I set out on a mission to find a perfect recipe for fluffy dumplings.
I have tried so many different recipes that I am surprised that my family doesn't hate dumplings by now. I have made doughy ones, sticky ones, "hockey puck" ones, dry ones, and inedible ones. After years of trying to complicate things, because a recipe cannot be good unless it takes a long time to prepare and make, (insert sarcasm) I finally found the perfect fluffy dumpling recipe, and it was such a simple recipe that it seemed too good to be true.
Over the past few years, I have found that often the simplest recipes are the best recipes in my opinion. So if you enjoy fluffy dumplings in your dish, give this dumpling recipe a try and let me know what you think.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chicken fat, margarine or oil
- 1/2 cup milk
This recipe will make about 6 or 7 large dumplings
- First you must have your chicken stock simmering in a large pot, not boiling, just simmering.
- Then mix all of your dry ingredients together.
- Add the fat and the milk and then gently stir, do not overmix.
- Drop by heaping spoonful's into the simmering liquid.
- Cover with a lid for 10 minutes, gently flip the dumplings and cover for 3 more minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!
The Perfect Incarnation
See what I mean? Simple! I tried so many recipes before I made these. They are simple, fluffy, and delicious. Just add to your chicken stock and chicken for a quick and easy dinner.
Hint: I like to add a roux to my stock to thicken it up a bit before I add my dumplings.