My Best Recipe for Cooking Goat Meat Caldereta
This is a great goat caldereta recipe with goat meat, potatoes, capsicums, carrots, and peas. Goat has its own unique taste, which some people find a bit overpowering. Like beef, mutton, and lamb, if goat is prepared right, it will be very tender and taste really delicious. This caldereta dish is simple to prepare and tastes so much better than it looks in the picture.
Preparing the Goat Meat
Before cooking the goat, it needs to be boiled in hot water. To prepare for this recipe, you will need two kilograms goat meat, one stalk of lemon grass, five to six bay leaves, and two teaspoons of sliced ginger.
Cut the meat into even-sized chunks. Put the lemon grass, bay leaves, ginger, and meat in a large pot. Add just enough water to cover the meat. Bring the pot to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
While the meat is simmering, prepare the other ingredients for cooking the caldereta.
Ingredients For Caldereta Recipe
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 4 pieces fresh whole bay leaves
- 3 potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 1 capsicum
- 1½ cups green peas
- 5 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- Peel the ginger, cloves and onion, and cut them into slices. Cut and crush the lemon grass. Wash the potatoes and carrots, and cut them into big chunks. Cut the capsicum into chunks.
- After 20 minutes of simmering, remove the goat meat from the pot of water and discard the water.
- In a pot, heat up the olive oil and butter. Add in ginger, garlic, onion and fry until brown. Add in the boiled goat meat, vinegar and soy sauce. Sitr and fry until the vinegar and soy sauce dry up, and when the fats are rendering out of the meat.
- Add in the lemon grass, oregano, bay leaves, carrots, potatoes, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, peanut butter, pineapple juice, water, salt and pepper. Bring the pot to a boil and simmer for one hour or until meat is tender.
- When the meat is ready, add in the capsicum chunks and green peas and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and serve in a bowl with coriander leaves as garnish. Serve with white rice.
Questions & Answers
© 2012 lady rain