Lady Rain works as a daytime stock trader and writes about crafts and hobbies. She likes travelling and making papercraft models.
This is a great goat caldereta recipe with goat meat, potatoes, capsicums, carrots, and peas. Goat has its own unique taste, which some people find a bit overpowering. Like beef, mutton, and lamb, if goat is prepared right, it will be very tender and taste really delicious. This caldereta dish is simple to prepare and tastes so much better than it looks in the picture.
Preparing the Goat Meat
Before cooking the goat, it needs to be boiled in hot water. To prepare for this recipe, you will need two kilograms of goat meat, one stalk of lemongrass, five to six bay leaves, and two teaspoons of sliced ginger.
Cut the meat into even-sized chunks. Put the lemongrass, bay leaves, ginger, and meat in a large pot. Add just enough water to cover the meat. Bring the pot to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
While the meat is simmering, prepare the other ingredients for cooking the caldereta.
Ingredients for Caldereta Recipe
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 4 pieces fresh whole bay leaves
- 3 potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 1 capsicum
- 1½ cups green peas
- 5 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- Peel the ginger, cloves and onion, and cut them into slices. Cut and crush the lemongrass. Wash the potatoes and carrots, and cut them into big chunks. Cut the capsicum into chunks.
- After 20 minutes of simmering, remove the goat meat from the pot of water and discard the water.
- In a pot, heat up the olive oil and butter. Add in ginger, garlic, onion and fry until brown. Add in the boiled goat meat, vinegar and soy sauce. Sitr and fry until the vinegar and soy sauce dry up, and when the fats are rendering out of the meat.
- Add in the lemongrass, oregano, bay leaves, carrots, potatoes, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, peanut butter, pineapple juice, water, salt and pepper. Bring the pot to a boil and simmer for one hour or until meat is tender.
- When the meat is ready, add in the capsicum chunks and green peas and cook for 2–3 minutes. Remove from heat and serve in a bowl with coriander leaves as garnish. Serve with white rice.
Read More From Delishably
Questions & Answers
Question: What happened to the olives in the meat caldereta? No tomatoes for me.
Answer: There are no olives in this recipe, only olive oil for frying the ingredients.
Question: How small should you cut the goat meat when making caldereta?
Answer: The goat meat can be cut into 2-3 cm chunks.
Question: What kind of vinegar would be traditional, and what kind of vinegar do you use?
Answer: I use white vinegar in this recipe.
© 2012 lady rain