Ivory is a nutritional enthusiast and enjoys cooking for health. I love using food as medicine.
Gordon Ramsay Lamb Shanks
Whenever we are not sure what to cook for dinner in our house, we turn to Gordon Ramsay's YouTube channel. His recipes never seem to fail, and they always become a favorite. This recipe of his was no different!
Lamb shanks can taste quite rich depending on how they are prepared. This recipe helps to balance the rich flavor lamb provides with a spicy and sweet flavor. However, it still manages to be savory. The lamb becomes so juicy and "fall-off-the-bone tender" from braising in the oven for so long. Yum!
Ramsay's original recipe calls for two hot peppers. A jalapeno and a hot red pepper. I only used the jalapeno and found the recipe to have the perfect amount of a spicy kick!
The cinnamon sticks are a must-have. The cinnamon sweetness of the sauce that is created through the cooking process pairs perfectly with the natural sweetness of carrots. I like to serve this with a butter and thyme cauliflower mash. This is a new household favorite that will be cooked over and over again!
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
3 hours 45 min
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1-2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- dash cumin powder or 3-4 fresh cumin seeds
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 jalapeno, diced with seeds
- 1 onion, in thick slices
- 4-5 carrots, thickly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- Roughly half a bottle red wine, I use merlot
- 2-4 lamb shanks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup homemade bone broth
- Pepper to taste
- Place lamb shanks in a container to prepare for marinating. Add paprika, oregano, cumin, bay leaves, cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of sea salt, and pepper to taste. Add diced garlic and jalapeno.
- Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil on top of lamb shanks and stir lamb shanks in mixture until well coated. Let the lamb shanks marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes. The longer it marinades, the stronger the spice and flavor in the meat.
- After marinating is complete, heat a dutch oven on high with a tablespoon of olive oil. Once well heated, add lamb shanks, leaving cinnamon, garlic, and jalapeno in the marinade container. Rotate lamb shanks in dutch oven until well browned.
- Add jalapeno, garlic, and cinnamon mixture to the pan. Cook until fragrant. Add onions and carrots. Cook for a few minutes.
- Push the vegetables under the lamb shanks and add the red wine. Cook for 10 minutes until the wine reduces by half. Add homemade broth.
- Place the dutch oven, without the lid, in the oven for 3 hours at 325 degrees. Remove from oven and the meat should fall right off the bone. Serve with carrots and onions. Enjoy!
© 2016 Healthy Habits