Tom Lohr has eaten a hot dog at all 30 MLB ballparks and is the author of "Gone to the Dogs: In Search of the Best Ballpark Hot Dog."
Everyone loves pizza, and everyone love hot dogs. For those times when you can't decide which favorite to feed your crew, make this quick and easy pizza dog. It is one of our favorite gourmet hot dogs that gives you a meal in a bun in minutes.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
6-8 hot dogs
- 1 package hoagie buns
- 1 package hot dogs, all-beef
- 1 package sliced peperoni
- 1 package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 tin oregano
Substitute the all-beef frank for a Field Roast brand hot dog or a Tofurkey brand sausage. Use non-dairy shredded cheese. Use meatless pepperoni discs.
- Heat the marinara sauce until warm. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the hot dogs, rolling frequently to ensure even cooking.
- When the hot dogs are fully cooked, place each in a hoagie bun.
- Spoon in marinara sauce until the frank is covered. Add a generous amount of shredded cheese. Cover with sliced pepperoni. Lightly sprinkle with oregano.