Tom Lohr has eaten a hot dog at all 30 MLB ballparks and is the author of "Gone to the Dogs: In Search of the Best Ballpark Hot Dog."
People love hot dogs for a reason. Mainly, it is because they love the taste of meat. Grilled meat brings out our inner caveman, and there is no better way to satisfy your prehistoric palate than with this carnivorous concoction. Caution: Make only when you are really hungry; there is enough meat on one dog to feed a saber-toothed tiger.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
As many Neanderthals that live in your cave
Read More From Delishably
- 1 package hot dogs, all-beef
- 1 package bacon
- 1 package meatballs, frozen, microwaveable
- 1 package boneless ribs, frozen, microwaveable
- 1 package hot dog buns, the bigger the better
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce
- 1 can cooking spray
- Microwave the boneless ribs and meatballs per instructions. When cooked, set aside on a plate.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until it is slightly crispy. Set aside on a plate.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the hot dogs, rolling frequently for even cooking.
- When the hot dogs are mostly done, push to one side of the skillet. Spray the hot dog buns with cooking spray. Split the buns in half. Lay each side in the skillet for 20 seconds until it is slightly toasted.
- On the bottom half of the bun, lay 3 strips of bacon. Lay the ribs on top of the bacon. Place 2 or 3 meatballs on top of the ribs. Lay the all beef hot dog on top of the rest. Douse with BBQ sauce. Cover with top of bun.
- Tip: This dog is a bear to eat, and is best served as a fork-eaten hot dog. Handling can be made easier by slicing the hot dog down the middle and placing it on top of the ribs, then slicing the meatballs and place them flat side down to prevent rolling.
Serve this hot dog on a big plate and with lots of napkins. It is a messy dish that is not meant to be eaten when wearing your finest clothes. You will be wearing some of this hot dog. It's worth the mess. After quelling your cro magnon cravings you will feel like chasing down a brontosaurus, or passing out on the couch. But one of the two for certain.