Easy Steps to Grill Chicken at Home (With Pictures)
There is no love sincerer than the love of food.— George Bernard Shaw, "Man and Superman"
Easy and Delicious Grilled Chicken at Home
When it comes to non-vegetarian food, my family loves chicken—and their favourite recipe is this one for grilled chicken.
On Sundays, we often have chicken, and this particular grilled recipe is a unanimous choice. It is light, non-oily, nutritious and of course delicious.
This dish is so simple to prepare, and it does not require much planning, either. All you need to have on-hand is chicken.
I prefer to use fresh chicken for grilling purposes. However, if you are using frozen chicken, remember to thaw it completely first.
Before marinating, all of the moisture should be removed from the meat. This can be done effectively by using blotting paper or paper towels.
Which Chicken do you normally use?
- 500 grams fresh chicken, cut-up pieces
- 2 tablespoons thick curd/yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 level teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 level teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (in equal proportion)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chat masala or lemon juice (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamom
“Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.”
― Ruth Reichl
- Wash the chicken pieces and dry them with a tissue paper or paper towels. If you are using frozen chicken pieces, thaw them completely and then wipe them dry.
- This is advised, so that the marination penetrates nicely into the chicken. You can select pieces of your choice, but fleshy pieces are good for grilling.
- You can prick the flesh of the chicken with a fork or make small cuts, before marination.
- Thoroughly combine the chicken with wet ingredients: curd, vinegar and ginger-garlic paste.
- In a food processor, grind the dry ingredients: cumin seed, coriander seed, cloves, black cardamom, green cardamom. Mix with the marinated chicken pieces.
- Cover and set aside, preferably in a refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven at 200 degree celsius. Oil the metal rack and place the marinated chicken pieces on it. Leave a little gap, while laying the individual pieces, on the grilling tray.
- Grill on one side for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces to grill on another side. Again grill for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle lemon juice/chat masala (optional) over the finished grilled chicken pieces.
- Take out in the serving dish and serve hot with green mint or coriander chutney and tomato sauce.
Tips and Techniques
1. Remember to brush the metal grilling rack with oil properly, so that the chicken does not stick to it while cooking.
2. Always use the grill or the oven with cover for even cooking. This allows the chicken to cook so that it is tender and juicy on the inside, whereas it will be crispy on the outside.
3. Do not set the temperature too high. The chicken pieces, with bones might burn and will not be juicy enough. My oven/grill provides the ideal temperature at 200 degree Celsius, but it might be different for your oven/grill.
Please make an assessment of suitable temperature, for grilling in your oven/grill beforehand.
4. Use long-handled wooden spoons or spatula for turning the chicken.
5. Test the chicken with a toothpick, to see if it is done.
6. Choose equal-sized pieces for grilling. If you select some small and some big pieces, they will take different time for cooking.
Chicken legs or breast pieces of equal sizes are ideal for cooking together.
7. Remember to clean the oven/grill for the next time, to avoid any unpleasant odour.
Enjoy this simple recipe for grilled chicken at home!
Which is your fevorite Chicken recipe?
Green Mint Chutney Recipe
Green chutney is very popular in India even with ordinary meals. It is very easy to make, and it requires very few ingredients. This chutney is a perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken.
- 1 cup fresh green mint or green coriander leaves, cleaned and washed
- 1 green chili
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients and grind them, in the food processor. Do not add water, as the green leaves combined with salt, leave a lot of moisture.
Nothing is better than going home, to family, eating good food and relaxing.
Food to me is always about cooking and eating with those you love and care for.
Rate this Simple and Delicious Home Grilled Chicken
How to grill chicken, Source: YouTube
9 Easy Chicken Recipes, Source: YouTube
© 2013 Chitrangada Sharan