How to Make Homemade Ham and Cheese Macaroni
Homemade Ham and Cheese Macaroni
Ham is our go-to for holidays—it's easy, it's delicious, and everybody loves it. The only problem is that leftovers seem to hang around forever, and there's only so much ham you can manage to eat in a week!
Enter some of my favorite recipes—the ones that transform leftover ham into something that doesn't feel like "oh no, ham again?" This macaroni and cheese is just plain perfect. You can use between two and four cups of ham, the sauce is delicious, and it's filling and hearty enough to use as a main dish. Best of all, it takes very little time and effort, and the whole family loves the results.
Try this recipe and you'll agree. It's the perfect go-to after a big holiday. Rich, delicious, and easy. Win-win!
- 1 pound macaroni, cooked according to the package directions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 cups diced leftover ham
- 8-10 ounces cheddar, grated
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Butter a 9x13 casserole dish. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter. Once foaming, stir in the flour and stir well until fully incorporated and smooth. Add onion and stir well. Add cream cheese and stir until smooth.
- Add milk in batches, whisking well after each addition, stirring until smooth after each addition.
- Once milk incorporated, add evaporated milk if using. Add grated cheese, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add seasonings - salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, hot sauce and mustard. Stir well.
- Pour cheese sauce over noodles in casserole dish, and stir well.
- In a small bowl, stir together panko, melted butter, salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole dish.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until bubbly throughout and the top is golden brown.
For the Perfect Ham to Use...
© 2019 Jan Charles