World's Best Meatloaf Recipe
Yes Virginia, There Is a Meatloaf
Here is truly one of the most delicious recipes for meatloaf that you will ever make and enjoy. Once you taste it, I think you'll agree that it truly is the best.
- As suggested in the comment section below, try cooking your meatloaf in an outdoor smoker or on a charcoal grill over indirect heat. In case you don't know when you cook over indirect heat on a charcoal grill the fire is on one side of the grill and you cook on the other side.
No matter how you cook this meatloaf it's a wonderful meatloaf. I personally think it deserves the title, world's best meatloaf.
Tips Before Starting
- Chop veggies finely. Be sure that your celery, onions, and bell peppers are chopped very small and even. You don't want any large chunks of vegetables in your loaf. I get the best results by chopping my vegetables in my food processor so they are small and all the same size. You want the pieces to be as small as possible—with my food processor is about the size of a grain of rice.
- Wet your hands. You should wet your hands when you are working with and shaping your meatloaf. If you'll do this, you'll find you'll have a much better experience. You'll also find that cleaning your hands up afterwards will be much easier.
World's Best Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 and 1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons of half and half
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup of finely-diced celery
- 1/2 of finely-diced onion
- 1/2 of finely-diced green pepper
- 1 and 1/2 cups plain bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Now, in a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, half and half, egg, and the seasonings. Spray your hands with vegetable cooking spray and get right in there and mix your meatloaf up well.
- Now add in the rest of your ingredients and mix them up very well.
- Shape your meat mix into a loaf and place it onto a baking pan that you have sprayed with vegetable cooking spray. Be sure to smooth it out with your hands and then spread the ketchup out over the outside of your meatloaf.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until your meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees in its center at the thickest part. Allow it to cool slightly before you slice and serve.
Note: Most people will find they can make and cook their meat loaf on the day of or the day before serving and store it covered in the refrigerator overnight. Many claim that the flavor is enhanced this way. Try it and see what you think. I myself like to make it one day and cook it. Then I store it in the refrigerator overnight before I heat it up and serve it the next day.
In case you don't know, meat loaf is a ground meat mixture that is shaped into a loaf and baked. Meat loaves can be made from beef, veal, lamb, or pork and usually contain onions, breadcrumbs, eggs, and various seasonings. Be sure to slice your left over meat loaf thin and try it in sandwiches (see below for instructions on this).
How About a Delicious Sandwich?
Have you ever had a meatloaf sandwich? If not, you need to make it!
- Use the left over meatloaf and cut into thin slices for open-faced sandwiches.
- Take two pieces of toast and heat up two thin slices of your left over meatloaf.
- Then put brown gravy with cooked thin sliced sweet onions in it over the meat loaf and toast, and you'll have one of the most delicious sandwiches ever.
Tomato Gravy Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 10 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 sixteen ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook whisking constantly for one minute.
- Whisk in the tomatoes and green chilies and remaining ingredients. Cook for five minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve on the side with your meat loaf and wait for others to be wowed and beg you for the recipe.
- Pans. I like to use a loaf pan or loaf pans to cook my meat loaf in. If you prefer to baking paper, take the time to find the kind that has tin foil on one side and parchment paper on the other side. Cut pieces of this paper the right size to fit the bottom of your pans and put the tin foil side of the baking paper down. This will help to ensure that your cooked meat loaf will come out of the pan just perfect.
- Room temperature ingredients. Let all your ingredients be room temperature before you start to mix up everything. This way, it will mix up a lot easier and it will always go together and come out of the oven looking real pretty.
- Internal temperature. Always cook it until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Measure the temperature at the thickest part of the meatloaf. Its best to use an instant read meat thermometer to get the right temperature.
- Lean version. To make a healthier rendition, start with lean beef or pork and place the loaf on a rack over a roasting pan so the excess fat can drain off as the loaf bakes. You can also replace half the ground meat with ground turkey, use egg substitute, and bread crumbs. That is if you feel like being healthier. I like it made just as the recipe calls for.
Lastly, for a really tasty meatloaf, try using an equal amount of ground beef and ground pork. You'll end up with some really tasty flavors and I just bet you'll love it. No recipe is written in stone. If a recipe has something in it you don't like then by all means take it out and use something else. You never know what kind of tasty meat loaf you may end up with.
Meatloaf to most Americans is a comfort food. Most of us remember our grandmother or mom making that oh-so-special delicious meatloaf. I know I do. Both my grandmother and my mom made delicious ones that I still remember. I used their recipes and merged them with mine and that is how I came up with this wonderful version.
© 2010 Thomas Byers
More by this Author
This is truly one of the best homemade chili recipes you are ever going to find. I hope you take the time to make this wonderful dish and then let us know how much your family enjoyed it.
Are you looking for the world's best no-beans chili? I guarantee that once you make this chili and taste it, you'll agree that it's the best recipe in the world.
Here you will find my award-winning recipe for beef, pork, and bean chili. Yes, I know, people claim all the time to have the best, but this one really is.