Homemade Chicken Pot Pie on the Stovetop Recipe
Last night, I was looking for something quick and easy to make for dinner. It had been a pretty rough day yesterday with the door bell ringing all day again and plenty of tantrums. I think it's the weather because everyone is acting crazy.
We needed something soothing, hot, and super nutritious for dinner. So I was running through some dinner options with my toddler because he's been refusing to eat everything lately. When I said chicken pot pie, his eyes lit up and he said, "Yummy! I love chicken pie!" So chicken pot pie it was! Haha, this has always been a favorite dish in our home, but I didn't feel up to making pie crusts tonight, so we subbed in these yummy biscuits instead.
Imagine a bowl of creamy, hot yumminess full of juicy pieces of chicken and sweet carrots, onions, and corn, all wrapped up with soft, flaky, homemade biscuits. That was our dinner last night. And it was delicious! Honestly, if you don't have all of these exact ingredients, add what you have. Maybe it's tons of carrots and peas, or you have some zucchini on hand. You could add any variety of veggies. It's really the milk sauce and chicken that makes this chicken pot pie. Be creative and feel free to make this one your own.
Let me show you how!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups broth
- pinch sage
- pinch thyme
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups corn
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- Biscuits :
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Melt about 1/4 cup butter in a large pot.
- Chop up your onion and carrots and add them to the pot. Cover and cook until soft.
- In a small saute pan, melt a couple tablespoons of butter.
- Add your flour, milk, broth and seasonings, one at a time, and stir to get rid of any lumps.
- Cook your milk mixture until starting to thicken and then pour it in with your vegetables.
- Add in your green beans and corn, with their juices, along with your cooked and shredded chicken and stir well.
- Cover and turn down the temperature to low to simmer while you are making your biscuits.
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all of your biscuit ingredients in a bowl together.
- Roll biscuit sized portions into balls and lay them out evenly on your cookie sheet. Mash them down with your fingers if you'd like them flatter.
- Slide them into the oven and bake for about 8 minutes.
- Serve your chicken pot pie in a bowl with your biscuits on top. Yum!
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 4 g||1%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 44 mg||15%|
|Sodium 179 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
I have to say that it was a relief to finally see my little one tuck into his dinner for the first time in the last week. I'm so glad that he loves to eat good food when he does decide to eat something. He's been on a peach only diet for the last 6 days or so. I guess that's toddlers for you.
One bonus I wasn't counting on was dessert! After we all finished our chicken pot pie and biscuits, I felt the craving for some of my mixed berry jam on some of these yummy biscuits. It turns out that everyone felt the same way I did and we all enjoyed a couple of biscuits with a thick layer of jam each for a treat after dinner. I have to tell you that these biscuits really are delicious. I need to write an article just on these biscuits.
If you haven't tried chicken pot pie at home yet, this is a great opportunity. It really is super easy and really fast to make. Notice the biscuits only cooked for 8 minutes in the oven. It took me that long just to clean up the kitchen and get everyone drinks. And this makes an excellent lunch the next day, even to take to work like my husband did.
© 2018 Victoria Van Ness