Jamaican-Style Curry Chicken: An Easy Recipe for a Quick Stew
Curry Chicken Quick Stew is Ready To Serve
Curry Chicken Quick Stew: An Easy Recipe
It was a long day that lead to a late Sunday evening when I found myself just starting to prepare dinner. I thought about my mother as I cleaned, cut up, and seasoned some chicken for this recipe. It has all the elements of an authentic curry chicken except for the coconut milk (because I didn't have any). So if you think you don't have enough time or all the ingredients needed to prepare a tasty Caribbean meal, think again. Try this curry chicken quick stew and enjoy!
A Classic Comfort Food
My mother was gifted with the ability to whip up a hearty dinner for our family with whatever she could pull together in her kitchen.
She was able to stay true to the techniques and authentic flavors of her homeland, Jamaica, West Indies, while preparing meals in no time.
Our favorites were stew chicken and curry chicken which represented yummy comfort food in our Jamaican-American household.
She had various recipes and methods of preparation, depending on how much time she had or for who and for how many people she was cooking.
I offer this Curry Chicken Quick Stew recipe in memory of my dear mother.
Try a Quick Curry Chicken Recipe
Have you ever tried to cook curry chicken?
Curry Chicken Quick Stew
- 3 whole chicken legs, cut into 12 pieces with cleaver to cut bone
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, or low sodium seasonings
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup onions chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper chopped
- 3 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Jamaica allspice
- canola oil
Directions for Easy Curry Chicken Quick Stew
- Rinse chicken with water and lemon juice. Cut up chicken into pieces by using a cleaver of other knife to break the bone. Season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice, thyme leaves and garlic cloves. Coat chicken well with seasonings adding curry powder, one tablespoon at a time until chicken is well coated. Set aside.
- Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into small pieces. Cut up onions to fill half a cup. Chop red peppers to fill 1/4 cup. Add to chicken and mix well to cover with seasonings.
- Heat frying pan with about 1/4 inch canola oil for browning chicken. Place chicken pieces in pan on high heat, brown on both sides, turning once after about 4 minutes on each side. Place browned pieces of chicken into large pot (dutch oven style). Add hot water to pot, about 2 inches high making sure not to completely cover chicken with water. Cover, turn heat to low.
- Saute potatoes, onions, and red peppers in same pan on high heat, browning slightly for about 4 minutes. Add to chicken, cover and continue cooking on low for 35 minutes. Stir occasionally. (Add small amount of flour or corn starch mixed with water to thicken texture if desired.) Taste and prepare to your liking altering amounts of salt, pepper, and curry powder. Serve with white rice and/or vegetables.
Cleaned, Seasoned and Ready To Cook
Step-by-Step Cooking Instructions for Curry ChickenClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ready To Serve Steaming Hot Curry Chicken
Delicious Curry Chicken Quick Stew Served
© 2013 Janis Leslie Evans