Puerto Rican Rice & Pork Chops Recipe with Great Flavor
Arroz con gandules (rice with pigeon beans)
In the Puerto Rican tradtion, pigeon rice also known as arroz con gandules is made with everything. Because of its good taste, it is known as one of the best rice. There are many different ingredients people use in rice to spice it to their own flavor. Some people put bacon, ham, or chicken in their rice. Rice is a main dish in most meals. You can make it with any type of meat you like.
- 1 can Tomato sauce
- 1 can Pigeon Beans
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 package Goya sazon
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
Step by Step
- First you put the oil in the rice pot and let it boil.
- As soon as it boils you add your can of tomato sauce. Stir the oil and tomato sauce together.
- Once you do that, you add the package of sazon along with the pepper and salt. Let that boil for a little bit but don't let it burn. You can always taste the tomato sauce to make sure its at its perfect taste. This is what gives the rice its flavor.
- When the tomato sauce comes to a boil, add the pigeon beans and let that boil for a little bit.
- Once you see the beans boiling with the tomato sauce add the rice.
- Mix all the ingredients together. After its mixed pour the 2 cups of water and let it cook.
- Don't forget to keep the lid on. Cook with medium fire.
- Once its cooking just keep checking to make sure rice doesn't burn.
- After the rice has absorbed the water , taste a grain to make sure rice is soft. If there is no water and rice is still hard add 1/2 cup of water.
- Stir rice to make sure the beans are on top and bottom of pot. Once rice is soft and its cooked turn off the fire and enjoy your food.
- Can be served with pork, chicken, steak, etc.
Rice with bacon
- If you want to add any meat, you will have to cook it before the rice.
- Example: Bacon in rice
- You will have to have the rice pot empty so you can fry the meat in the pot
- You add any seasonings to the meat you like and let it cook with the oil (expect bacon, it has its own oil)
- For good flavor, I recommend using Goya adobo and Goya sazon to season the meat
- Once the meat is cooked all the way than you add the tomato sauce and the rest of the ingredients
Pork Chops Recipe
- 2 packages Goya Sazon
- 1/2 cup Goya Adobo
- 2 Tablespoon Pepper
- 1 pack Pork Chops
Prep Time: 8 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Ready In: 28 min
Yields: Serves 4 people
Tips on picking the pork chops
- Try to not get thick pork chops, the thicker, the longer it takes to cook
- breakfast chops are thin and boneless
- Less fat to the pork chop the better
Step by Step Instructions
- First you rinse your meat.
- You season the meat wit sazon, adobo, and pepper
- Get a thin pan (i recommend a griddle) and add vegetable oil or virgin oil. Wait till it gets hot
- Once its hot, add the pork chops
- let the pork chops cook till its golden brown, once its dark flip it to cook the other side.
- let the other side cook as well. If you don't know if the pork chops are cook, bend it to make sure the meat inside is good. Once its done, enjoy.
Tips on cooking pork chops
- If you flip the pork chops numerous of times before its cooked on that side, it will take away the natural juices
- You can add garlic powder to bring out the seasoning
- Cutting off the fat makes it less fatting
Grilling Pork chops
Grilling cuts down on the fat for anyone who doesn't want much grease in their meat. When grilling you always want to get a non stick oil spray. You season the meat the same way.