How to Cook Breaded Fish and Chips
Fish and chips is a popular snack in Europe that originated in Great Britain. The fish is dipped in a batter, which creates a light crunchy coating after frying. It is typically served with tartar sauce and mushy peas. In this version of fish and chips, I put a Japanese twist on the recipe by using Panko bread crumbs.
- 750 grams cream dory fish fillet
- 150 grams French fries
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 to 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used Panko)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cooking oil
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Mustard (optional)
- 3 large bowls
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 small plate
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- frying pan
- cooling rack
- Season fish with salt, pepper, and optional hot sauce and/or mustard.
- Chill the seasoned fish in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. This will allow all the flavors to seep in.
- Prepare the breading mixture. Add water into the egg. Beat thoroughly. Set aside.
- Mix bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove the fish from the refrigerator.
- Start the breading process. Dredge each piece following this order: flour, egg, flour, egg, and bread crumbs.
- Once you have finished the breading process, freeze the breaded fish for at least 1 hour before frying.
- While waiting for the fish, start double-frying the French fries. Pour a generous amount of oil in a frying pan.
- Cook French fries until golden brown in texture. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Remove the breaded fish from the freezer. Start frying it until it is golden brown in color.
- Serve it with your favorite dip, such as aioli, tartar sauce, spicy soy vinegar dip, or ketchup.
Breaded Fish and Chips Video Tutorial
Tips and Techniques
- Double-fry the French fries to produce crunchier exterior texture.
- Add water into the egg for easy coating.
- Use any seasonings available for the fish fillet.
- Serve fish and chips with your favorite dip, such as tartar sauce or aioli.
- Season French fries with salt before serving.
- Make the breading thicker by dredging each piece of fish twice into the flour.
- Replace cream dory with anther fish, such as cod.
- Freeze breaded fish before frying in order to achieve a crunchier texture.
© 2019 Travel Chef