How to Make Ayam Bakar Daun Pandan
Actually, it was my first time making ayam bakar daun pandan. Daun pandan or screwpine leaves are very popular in Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, and other regions in South East Asia. My mother always uses daun pandan for making desserts such as pengat pisang (bananas in sweetened coconut milk), kuih bingka pandan (pandan cake), bubur kacang (sweet mung bean), kuih pau (steamed buns) and many others. You can blend the leaves with water just for the color or tie a knot and throw in the pot for the flavor. These majestic green leaves are so glorious and aromatic, and they are a big influence on my cooking.
However, last night I used daun pandan to make a chicken wrap. My husband and I had ayam bakar daun pandan in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Surprisingly, he loved it. I thought I should try it. Here’s the thing, I always have daun pandan in the freezer. It is one of the must-have cooking ingredients in my kitchen. This recipe showed how daun pandan is not just good for being a dish wrap but, it brings the flavor to the chicken. The chicken was tender and juicy. We will definitely make this more often.
- Two pounds chicken breast (cut into pieces)
- Pandan leaves (washed and dried)
- One red onion (chopped)
- An inch garlic (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine onion, garlic, ginger, sweet soy sauce, light soy sauce, coriander powder, sugar, and salt in a blender. Blend until it makes a paste.
- In a large bowl, pour the paste into the chicken pieces. Coat the chicken evenly with the paste. Cover the bowl with a cling wrap and keep in the fridge at least 2-3 hours.
- Take the pandan leaves, use your hands make a shape like a cone, insert the chicken in the middle, and secure with a toothpick.
- Brush some oil on the pandan leaves and the chicken.
- Grill for 8-10 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Take out the leaves and serve with your favorite rice.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Liza