How to Make Chinese-Style Fried Cream Dory
Cream dory, also known as Pangasius, is a fish with spiny fins that is commonly seen in Southeast Asia. It has white flesh and a neutral flavor that works well in many kinds of dishes. It usually comes filleted and frozen when sold at the market.
In this recipe, I fried cream dory in a crispy, crunchy, Chinese-style breading mix. The seasoned flour is very flavorful, and it adds a lovely dimension to the mild fish. This recipe makes for a wonderful snack or dish for a main meal.
Ingredients for Chinese-Style Breading Mix
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoons Chinese Five Spice
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 tablespoon pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/8 tablespoon onion powder
Ingredients for Chinese-Style Fried Cream Dory
- 500 grams cream dory, sliced
- Chinese-style breading mix (above)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 4 big bowls
- 2 small bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- chopping board
- cooking spoon
- Season cream dory with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the 3-step breading set-up (flour, egg, breading mix).
- Bread the fish first with flour; then with egg; then with breading mix.
- Arrange breaded fish on a plate.
- Freeze the whole plate with breaded fish before cooking or packing it.
- Best served with fries or rice.
Tips and Techniques
- Add any other marinade to make it tastier.
- Freeze breaded fish before frying to achieve a crunchier texture.
- Cook any leftover eggs rather than throwing them out.
- Replace panko with finer breadcrumbs.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dred Cuan