How to Make Easy Chinese Pork Stir-Fry With Celery
Growing up in a Chinese family, my mother almost never worked from recipes to create the delicious meals I had the privilege of enjoying every night. When I asked her to tell me how she made something so I could reproduce it in my own kitchen, she'd often reply with, "Well you add just a little bit of this, and a little bit of that!" Needless to say, it wasn't very helpful!
From that point on, I promised myself that I would break the imperfect oral tradition of passing down treasured family recipes and write down the results of my kitchen experiments. This way, when I myself have a daughter, I'll have something physical to pass down to her, and she won't have to spend hours in the kitchen experimenting to re-create that perfect recipe which she loves so much.
This is one of the first Chinese dishes I cooked for my husband when we got married that he really enjoyed. It's incredibly easy to make as a stand-alone dinner dish and delicious too, so it's a win-win situation for both of us! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 1 lb sliced boneless pork loin
- 4 stalks celery
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 c. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. rice wine (or sake)
- 1 T. sugar
- 3-5 thinly sliced chili peppers, optional
- 2 T. vegetable or canola oil
- Cut off the leaves and root portion of each celery stalk, and peel off the fibrous strands on the outer layer of the stalk. Then very thinly slice the stalks of celery at an angle diagonal to each stalk.
- Thinly slice (1/4-1/2 inch slices) the boneless pork loin.
- Create a marinade in a bowl by mixing the soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar together.
- Place the sliced pork loin in the marinade and mix until the sauce completely covers the pork. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add oil to your pan and heat on medium-high until the oil sizzles when you drop a slice of garlic in it.
- Add garlic to the pan and stir-fry until golden brown.
- Pour the pork with of its all of marinade into the pan. Stir-fry until edges are mostly white.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover from pan and turn heat back up to medium. Toss in sliced celery and chili peppers and stir-fry, mixing constantly.
- Once celery turns slightly soft, the dish is ready. Turn off the heat. Serve with white rice and enjoy!