My passion for cooking leads me to travel to different places, eat authentic local dishes, and inspire everybody to cook amazing food!
Pigs in a blanket, but Better
Everybody knows that pigs in a blanket are made with hot dogs, right? Well, I tried to re-imagine this recipe with a Hawaiian-style burger (the Hawaiian twist comes simply by adding pineapple). This dish is sweet and savory, with a crunchy dough that is perfect for a morning or afternoon snack.
For the burger patty, I used my recipe for a homemade pork burger patty with breadcrumbs. You could use this—or any other burger patties you have on hand.
Ingredients for Filling
- 2 homemade pork burger patties with breadcrumbs
- 2 pineapple rings
- 2 slices sweet ham
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
Ingredients for Dough (the Blanket)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 + 1/8 cup milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
This recipe is enough to make the "blankets" for two burgers.
For Preparing the Ingredients
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
For Cooking the Hawaiian Burger in a Blanket
- Baking sheet
- Silicone mat
Cook Time and Yield
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
- Prepare the dough mix. Let it rest for 5 minutes, then cover it with a damp kitchen cloth.
- Cut the dough mix into four equal parts.
- Roll out each part so that it is a bit bigger than the burger patty.
- Stack the burger patty, cheese, pineapple rings, and ham on top of the rolled-out dough.
- Cover everything with another layer of rolled-out dough.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Continue working on the second burger.
- Bake it in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the oven. Brush the top of the bread with melted butter, if preferred.
Tips and Techniques
- Add more cheese if you want.
- Replace mozzarella cheese with your favorite cheese.
- Bake the dough until golden brown or crusty outside. Adjust the cooking time if needed.
- Try our cheesy footlong pigs in a blanket recipe.
© 2018 Travel Chef