How to Make "Mi Sup" or Chicken Noodles
When I was in my hometown, one of my favorite dishes to cook is "mi sup" or chicken noodles. This dish is easy and quick to make. Mi sup is very much like the popular Vietnamese dish pho. The signature of this chicken noodle dish is the broth. It has a very intense flavor that tastes of spices such as star anise, cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamom, ginger, garlic, and shallots. I remember when I was a kid, I didn't like the taste of these spices, especially the clove; however, as I got older, I started appreciating them. To prevent the spices from floating all over the pot, you can put them in a cheesecloth or a soaking bag. Unfortunately, I don't have the cheesecloth, so I decided to chop the shallots and garlic. The point is just to do and use whatever you have. That's how I like it. Most of the ingredients are easy to find at the Asian store near you. Please take note that this dish is suitable for a vegetarian. All you have to do is leave out the meat in the preparation.
- 2 packets of yellow noodles or rice noodles
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 of chicken (cut into the small piece)
- 2 shallots (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 4-star anises
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom
- 5 cloves
- 2 potatoes (cut into cubes)
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Chinese mustard green or bak choi (steamed)
- Fried onions
- Scallions (thinly sliced)
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Condiment such as sweet and spicy soy sauce
- Heat the oil in a pot over a medium heat.
- Saute the cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom, star anises, shallots, ginger and garlic into the pot. Stir for a few minutes or until it fragrant.
- Slowly, pour in the water into the pot. Add the chicken and potatoes into the broth. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Let it simmer for 40 minutes.
- Lastly, add the chicken bouillon and salt.
- Place the yellow noodles into a bowl; top with green mustard, scallions, hard-boiled eggs, fried onions and sweet and spicy soy sauce.
- Pour hot broth over the top.
- The chicken noodles are ready to eat!
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Liza