How to Make Sausage Rolls: A Deliciously Easy Recipe With Ready Made Puff Pastry
Sausage rolls make a great Sunday munch, a light supper or a handy snack. Parties, picnics and buffets are never truly complete without these tasty little sausage morsels. Whether you make them for a brunch, a lunch or a quick bite, the kids will love them and even the big kids will love them. Sausage rolls make a quick and easy all-around family pleaser anytime and anywhere.
I have the perfect recipe for easy delicious sausage rolls. This recipe is fun, simple and fool proof. You will never buy a sausage roll again once you've tried and tested this easy, delicious recipe. And if you want, you can use your favourite sausages too.
Bake And Rate This Recipe
Making Your Sausage Rolls
Homemade Sausage Roll Recipe
To make these delicious sausage rolls, you will need the following items:
- a packet of shop-bought, ready-made puff pastry
- 6 large good quality pork sausages
- 1 beaten egg to glaze
- flour to roll and dust the pastry
- a rolling pin
- a sharp knife
- a baking tray
- a cup (for the beaten egg)
- a pastry brush
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7/ 200°C.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of about 1/2 a centimeter (if the pastry is too thick the sausage rolls will be soggy in parts), making a rectangular shape. Don't worry too much about making the perfect shape, you can always trim the edges to make the shape more rectangular.
- Cut the pastry shape in half to give two separate pieces of pastry.
- Carefully remove the skin from the sausages.
- Lightly roll the sausage meat between your palms to loosen the meat a little.
- Place the sausage meat along the center of the pastry: Fig 1.
- Using a sharp knife cut strips from the sausage meat through the pastry to the edge of the pastry: Fig 2.
- Plait the pastry over the sausage meat working down the pastry: Fig 3.
- Gentle pat the pastry strips with a finger to bring together.
- You can leave the sausage rolls whole or slice into individual rolls or do a little of both.
- Lightly oil and flour a baking tray and place the sausage rolls on the tray.
- Using the pastry brush, brush the sausage rolls evenly with a little beaten egg (this will give the pastry a lovely golden colour and a crisp texture).
- Place the sausage rolls in the middle of the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes till cooked through and golden in appearance.
- Serve hot and crisp straight from the oven: Fig 6.
- Plaiting the pastry allows the warm air in the oven better circulation through the pastry and the meat, resulting in perfect crisp pastry, no soggy bits in sight: Fig 5.
- Plaiting the pastry also helps the sausage meat to cook through without drying out; hence retaining a delicious succulent juicy texture: Fig 7.
- These sausage rolls are also great cold and will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for a couple of days. If you like your sausage rolls warm, remove from the fridge about 10 minutes before you want them, place in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes and they'll crisp up beautifully.
- To serve, sprinkle with a little salt.
Turn Your Sausage Rolls into Proper Posh Nosh
Tickle the taste buds of the more sophisticated palette and add a little glamor to your meager sausage rolls. Try one of the following combinations or make a few selections to give your homemade sausage rolls the wow factor. We all love a sausage roll and now we can love a fancy sausage roll.
- Spoon a little of your favorite chutney ie tomato or apple, on to the pastry before topping with the sausage meat.
- Fry off some onions till nice and caramelized, allow to cool and place on the pastry before adding the sausage meat.
- Mix your sausage meat with a few sprigs of fresh thyme or sage leaves.
- Mix your sausage meat with finely grated apple.
- Opt for flavored sausages ie pork and cranberry, pork and orange, pork and leek.
- Add some spice ie smoked paprika or a little chili powder.
- Marinade the sausages overnight in a good quality cider.
- Mix in some chopped smoked sausage, i.e., chouriço.
These little extra tasty additions are some of my favorites. Experiment with your favorite flavors (spices, herbs, chutneys etc) and see what great combinations of flavors and tastes you come up with. You may even event a whole new world of delicious sausage rolls! The above recipe is cheap, quick, easy and fun to make, not to mention wickedly tasty. Go on and give it a try. I hope you enjoy making these scrummy sausage rolls and more importantly, I hope you and yours really enjoy eating them.
© 2011 Gabriel Wilson