My passion for cooking leads me to travel to different places, eat authentic local dishes, and inspire everybody to enjoy their lives!
Sweet Chicken-Macaroni Salad
Allow me to share my own version of sweet chicken-macaroni salad using my homemade mayonnaise for the dressing. You can add an interesting twist to this dish, like adding grated cheese or minced onions. The cheese provides a salty taste, while the onion will give the dish a pungent taste. Since I'm allergic to onions, I only added the cheese to my serving. This salad is best to serve when chilled.
Ingredients for the Salad
- 2 apples
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked
- 250 grams pineapple chunks
- 250 grams macaroni pasta, cooked
- 100 grams raisins
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Cheese, grated or cubed
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the Chicken
- 250 grams chicken breast
- Carrots, sliced
- Celery, sliced
- Onion, sliced
For the Salad:
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Prep Bowls (for the ingredients)
- Measuring Cup
- Spatula or Serving Spoon
For the Chicken:
- Small Pot
For the Pasta:
- Large Pot
- Bring water to boil and add the pasta as per packet suggestion. Drain the pasta and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook chicken in a boiling water together with carrots, celery, onion and peppercorns. Allow the chicken to cool down before shredding it. Then, set aside.
- Peel apple and carrots. Cut the carrots into small pieces and cut the apples into chunks. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients (apple, carrots, chicken, pasta, pineapple, raisins, and mayonnaise) together in a large bowl. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Tips and Techniques for Cooking Pasta
- Let the water boil before adding the pasta. This will allow the pasta to cook fast.
- Add a generous amount of salt into the boiling water to give taste to your pasta.
- Drizzle some oil onto your pasta just after cooking to keep it from sticking.
Tips and Techniques for Boiling a Chicken
- Carrots, celery, onion, and peppercorns give flavor and aroma to your boiled chicken. You can use the trimmings of these vegetables too.
- Let the chicken cool down before shredding it. It makes it easier for you to work on it.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken easily.
Store-Bought vs. Homemade Mayonnaise
You have the option to buy or to make your own mayonnaise. My recommendation is to make your own at home. If you're a health-conscious individual, homemade mayo allows you to choose what kind of oil to use. Moreover, the homemade variety is cheaper compared to the ones available in the market. To learn how to make one, check out my version of an easy homemade mayonnaise. Hope you'll enjoy it!
Another Delicious Salad Recipe
- How to Make Kalabasa Flower Salad
Have you ever tried edible flowers? In this simple recipe, I use kalabasa flowers, or squash blossoms, to make a delicious and healthy salad. I also added the exciting flavor of bagoong, or anchovy sauce.
© 2018 Travel Chef
Travel Chef (author) from Manila on July 05, 2018:
Yes it is so delicious. I like the combination of my ingredients. You can replace the raisins with some other dried fruits maybe. This will give yoi addiditional taste and texture. Hope you enjoyed it!
Margie's Southern Kitchen from the USA on July 05, 2018:
Yum, that sounds delicious except for the raisins, I would leave them out! Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe!