How to Make Water Spinach With Shrimp Paste: A Chinese-Inspired Side Dish
Water spinach is a common green vegetable in China or other subtropical regions. This aquatic plant has tender leaves and shoots, which makes it easy to cook. I prefer to top mine with homemade crispy fried garlic bits. You can enjoy this simple Chinese dish without spending too much.
- 100 grams kangkong
- 2 tablespoons garlic, fried
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- water, (for blanching)
For Preparing the Ingredients:
- 1 Medium Bowl
- 2 Small Bowls
- Measuring Spoons
For Cooking the Dish:
- Slotted Spoon
- Bring water to boil.
- Prepare a cold water bath in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook water spinach until tender.
- Drain it and soak in the prepared blanching water.
- Sprinkle toasted garlic on top.
- Serve with shrimp paste on the side.
Tips and Techniques
- Prepare a bowl of ice cubes with water when blanching any vegetables.
- Ice bath method helps stop the cooking process to avoid overcooking of foods.
- Season the boiling water with salt if preferred to make the water spinach tasty on its own.
- Choose any type of shrimp paste available - ordinary, sweet or spicy.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Dred Cuan