Thanks to my father, I'm a big foodie who's been cooking and baking since I was a young girl. Cooking is a passion that brings me joy.
In the United States, a Cornish game hen (also sometimes called a Cornish hen, poussin, rock Cornish hen, or simply rock Cornish) is a hybrid (a cross between a Cornish and White Plymouth Rock breeds). These hens are always sold whole since they are young and weigh no more than two pounds. Despite the name, it is not a game bird. Rather, it is a broiler chicken, the most common strain of commercially raised meat chickens.
Cornish Game Hen
I feel proud as a peacock sharing this delicious chicken recipe with all of you. My inspiration for trying this out for the first time was seeing it prepared on my favorite cooking show, The Chew. I was initially a little intimidated, but it's actually a pretty simple recipe. You'll love the spices used to season the chicken and how the meat falls off the bone.
Dice up potatoes and vegetables of your choice to complete this delicious chicken recipe.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 20 min
Read More From Delishably
- 2 Cornish game hens, 2 pounds each
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon Lawry's season salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 potatoes, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large onion
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together salt, pepper, dried basil, dried thyme, Lawry's season salt, paprika, and lemon juice
- Rub olive oil all over the hens, including the inside of each cavity.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the hens.
- Place fresh basil leaves inside the hen cavities.
- Dice potatoes, onion, carrots, and celery and spread them on the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Place hens on top, making sure to leave plenty of room between the hens to allow the skin to crisp while baking.
- Roast hens in preheated oven for approximately 1 hour or until thermometer reads 165 degrees and juices run clear.
- Carefully remove the hens to a serving platter.
- Put potatoes and vegetables into a serving bowl.
- Serve each guest one whole hen; place cavity-side-down on the plate.
- Serve while meat is hot.
Cornish Game Hen
Make Sure to Rinse and Rub the Cornish Hens
For each question, choose the best answer. The answer key is below.
- Another name for Cornish Game Hen is 'Poussin'
- Cornish Game Hen is considered 'Game'
- Cornish Game Hen (although smaller) is more expensive than regular whole chicken
- True Cornish Game Hens are young male Cornish Chickens
- True Cornish Game Hens are young female Cornish Chickens weighing about 2 pounds
© 2016 Linda Rogers