I love cooking, but I had to make some big changes when my doctor put me on a low-carb diet. Luckily, healthy food can still be tasty!
A Low-Carbohydrate Meal
Low-carb diets are becoming popular again. I mentioned in another one of my articles that our doctor wants both my husband and me to focus on lowering our carb intake. The truth is that it's a little hard for an Italian because of our love for pasta and polenta and gnocchi and ravioli and cappelletti soup. But it's not impossible. You actually can get used to going without those foods after a while. The trick is to come up with meals that are interesting to look at and delicious to eat.
This one fits that bill. The marinara sauce speaks Italian and so does the mozzarella cheese. So give this a try and Mangiare Bene!
Amount of carbs according to the information on the packets:
- Mozzarella cheese - 1 gram per ounce
- Large Portobello Mushroom Caps - 3 grams
- Hamburg - 0 grams
- Roast peppers - 0 grams
- Marinara sauce - 14 grams per 1/2 cup
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
Serves 3 people
- 3 portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 (8-ounce) bottle bottled Italian salad dressing, I used the one with olive oil and balsalmic vinegar
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 small jar roasted red pepper, drained and sliced
- 1 pound hamburg
- 3 sliced mozzarella cheese
- Remove whatever stem is on the mushrooms and scrape some of the black out of them as shown in the second picture. Place the mushrooms in a large plastic bag with the salad dressing, seal it, and let it marinate for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste to the raw hamburg and form 3 thin patties. Heat up a grill pan and spray with nonstick spray and cook the hamburgs on both sides. Remove from pan.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Put non-stick aluminum foil on a flat sheet and spread some marinara sauce on it. While the grill pan is still hot, take the mushrooms out of the marinade and throw the marinade away and cook until the mushrooms soften a little about 5 or 6 minutes on both sides.
- When cooked, put the mushrooms on the sauce and top with the cooked hamburgs and top that with several slices of the roasted peppers. Top with more sauce and a thick slice of mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for about 15 or 20 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted.
Photos of a Cheeseburg With Portobello Mushroom and Mozzrella Cheese
© 2017 Rachel L Alba