How to Make a Quiche and Shortcrust Pastry
Quiche Lorraine Recipe With Shortcrust Pastry
How to make a quiche Lorraine from scratch. Step-by-step instructions with videos and photos for homemade shortcrust pastry for the quiche base. This is a quick and easy recipe.
Ingredients for Shortcrust Pastry
- 200g/6oz plain flour
- 100g/4oz butter
- Pinch of salt
- Cold water
- Baking tin
- Mixing bowl
- Grease-proof paper/parchment paper
- Stones or dried beans
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F.
- Take out your mixing bowl and add the flour.
- Put in the salt.
- Add the butter to the flour and mix in well with your hands until it is a crumbly texture.
- Add water and mix with a knife, it should be slightly sticky.
Prepare Your Baking Dish
- Cut some grease-proof paper the size of the inside of the dish.
- Take out three stones or some beans and have them ready.
- Take some butter and spread around the base of the dish.
Baking The Pastry
- Return to the pastry and sprinkle some flour on top.
- Move around with your hands until the pastry can be removed from the bowl in one go.
- Sprinkle some flour on a board and add the pastry.
- Roll it out until it is slightly bigger than the dish.
- Add the pastry to the dish pushing it around the sides.
- Put the grease proof paper in the middle and add the stones or beans.
- Put in the oven to bake for ten minutes.
- Remove the beans and paper and bake for another ten minutes until the base is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool for half an hour.
Baking the pastry, also called blind baking makes sure it does not go soggy once you add the filling.
Gordon Ramsay - How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
Preparing the Filling for the Quiche
- 3 rashers of bacon
- 1 small onion
- 1 large tomato
- 750g/3oz cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- Small pieces of broccoli
- 150ml/¼pt milk
- Cut up the rashers into small pieces.
- Peel and cut the onion into small slices.
- Cook on a frying pan for a few minutes.
- Add the rashers, onions and broccoli to the dish.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and mix in the milk.
- Pour this over the ingredients.
- Slice the tomato into large pieces.
- Gently add them to the mixture.
- Place in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
Serving Suggestion for The Quiche
I prefer mine served with a lettuce and salad dish. They compliment the taste and makes a delicious snack.