Recipes for Quiche Lorraine and Shortcrust Pastry
Recipe for Quiche Lorraine
Quiche Lorraine Recipe
How do you make a delicious quiche Lorraine from scratch? In this article, I share step-by-step instructions, along with videos and photos, for my homemade shortcrust pastry (for the base) as well as the cheese-and-broccoli filling. This is a quick-and-easy recipe.
Ingredients for Shortcrust Pastry
- 200g/6oz plain flour
- 100g/4oz butter
- Pinch of salt
- Cold water
- Baking tin
- Mixing bowl
- Grease-proof paper/parchment paper
- Stones or dried beans
Shortcrust Pastry Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F.
- Take out your mixing bowl and add the flour.
- Put in the salt.
- Add the butter to the flour and mix in well with your hands until it is a crumbly texture.
- Add water and mix with a knife, it should be slightly sticky.
Prepare Your Baking Dish
- Cut some grease-proof paper the size of the inside of the dish.
- Take out three stones or some beans and have them ready.
- Take some butter and spread around the base of the dish.
Baking The Pastry
- Return to the pastry and sprinkle some flour on top.
- Move around with your hands until the pastry can be removed from the bowl in one go.
- Sprinkle some flour on a board and add the pastry.
- Roll it out until it is slightly bigger than the dish.
- Add the pastry to the dish pushing it around the sides.
- Put the grease proof paper in the middle and add the stones or beans.
- Put in the oven to bake for ten minutes.
- Remove the beans and paper and bake for another ten minutes until the base is lightly browned.
- Allow to cool for half an hour.
Baking the pastry, also called blind baking makes sure it does not go soggy once you add the filling.
How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
Preparing the Filling for the Quiche
- 3 rashers of bacon
- 1 small onion
- 1 large tomato
- 750g/3oz cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- Small pieces of broccoli
- 150ml/¼pt milk
- Cut up the rashers into small pieces.
- Peel and cut the onion into small slices.
- Cook on a frying pan for a few minutes.
- Add the rashers, onions and broccoli to the dish.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and mix in the milk.
- Pour this over the ingredients.
- Slice the tomato into large pieces.
- Gently add them to the mixture.
- Place in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
Serving Suggestion for The Quiche
I prefer mine served with a lettuce and salad dish. They compliment the taste and makes a delicious snack.