Ramona has enjoyed cooking and experimenting in the kitchen for the last 20 years. Flavorful food is what it's all about.
Flavorful Chicken Pot Pie
We all have different opinions on what makes a pot pie so grand. Is it the crust? The thick, creamy texture of the vegetables? How about that garlic flavor? Should it have just a top crust—or should it have a bottom crust, too?
The nice thing about making pot pie is that you can make it without having to spend all day in the kitchen. Make the filling in one pot, add some ingredients, pour it in the baking dish, and shove it in the oven. Sit down for 40 minutes watching your favorite show—and voila, it's dinner time.
You can even make it super easy by using all canned foods:
- canned chicken
- canned mix vegetables
- cream of chicken soup
- chicken broth
We know that fresh is better, but sometimes we just have to improvise. Nothing wrong with that.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Read More From Delishably
- 1/3 cup margarine, or butter
- 1/3 cup flour, seasoned flour with garlic powder, salt & pepper
- 1/2 large onion, chopped small
- 2 stems celery, chopped medium
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cube knorr, bouillon cube
- 1 can cream of chicken
- 2/3 cup milk, makes the filling creamier
- 1 teaspoon poultry or Italian, seasoning
- 2 cans or 2 cups, chicken, canned or boiled
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, frozen
- 2 prepared pie crusts, 1 top and 1 bottom
- Salt & pepper to taste, since the bouillon cube has salt
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Heat butter over low heat until melted. Add onions, garlic, bouillon cube, and pepper. Stir until onions are slightly glossy.
- Blend the flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly.
- Stir in the broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken and veggies. Add in 1-2 small diced potatoes.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the milk and stir.
- Line pie plate with prepared bottom crust. Spread egg white on bottom crust; this will seal the crust.
- Pour the filling.
- Top the filling with top pie crust. Cut slits in center to vent. Flute edges.
- Spread more egg wash on top of pie crust.
- Cook uncovered in 400°F oven until crust is brown; approximately 30-35 minutes.
Different Toppings for Different Folks
I like to top mine with
as my favorite condiment
My cousin tops hers with
shredded parmesan cheese
as her favorite topping
My neighbor tops his with
because he realy likes it hot
Will you try this recipe?
© 2018 Ramona