Recipe for Beef Stew and Braised Steak
A Traditional Beef Stew Recipe
Homemade beef stew with carrots and onions is one of my favorite dinner recipes. In this article, I have included step-by-step instructions so that you can cook this recipe from scratch. I also explain how to safely thicken the stew with gravy. Here in Ireland, we call this dinner dish braised steak.
How to Cook Braised Steak
Preparation time: 15 mins approx
Cooking time: 2 hours
Serves: 4 portions
- 1 ½ lbs of round steak or other beef cuts
- 2 large size onions
- 4 medium size carrots
- 2 large tomatoes
- Tomato puree, Sunflower oil, Gravy mix
My Braized Steak Recipe
In-Depth Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cut up the onions into medium slices.
- Cut up the tomatoes into medium pieces.
- Cut up the carrots into large round shapes.
- Wash the round steak under the tap.
- Cut up the round steak in to portions.
- Put these into the bottom of the cooking dish.
- Add the cooking oil and onions to a pot.
- Cook for approx. thirty seconds until the onions are brown.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, and tomato puree.
- Mix in these vegetables on the cooker for three minutes.
- By putting in the carrots and heating them, it gives them a harder shell. They taste better in the stew because of this.
- Remove the vegetables from the cooker and add on top of the meat and spread evenly.
- Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Cover the cooking dish with a lid and place in the oven.
- If you do not have a lid then use tin foil. Cook for one and a half hours at 325 – 350 degrees F.
Step 4 (Thickening)
- Remove the stew from cooker.
- Add some extra boiled water to the stew.
- Make up the gravy and stir this into the dish slowly until mixed in evenly.
- Place the dish back in to the oven for a further thirty minutes.