How to Make the Best Heirloom Beef Stew Recipe
Beef Stew Recipe
I show you how to make a delicious beef stew with step-by-step instructions.
There are lots of photos so you can easily follow the recipe.
Preparation time: 10 mins approx
Cooking time: 2 hours
Serves: 4 portions
- 1 ½ lbs of round steak or other beef cuts
- 2 large size onions
- 4 medium size carrots
- 2 large tomatoes
- Tomato puree, Sunflower oil, Gravy mix
In-Depth Step-By-Step Instructions
- Cut up the onions into medium slices.
- Cut up the tomatoes into medium pieces.
- Cut up the carrots into large round shapes.
- Wash the round steak under the tap.
- Cut up the round steak in to portions.
- Put these into the bottom of the cooking dish.
- Add the cooking oil and onions to a pot.
- Cook for approx. thirty seconds until the onions are brown.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, and tomato puree.
- Mix in these vegetables on the cooker for three minutes.
- By putting in the carrots and heating them, it gives them a harder shell. They taste better in the stew because of this.
- Remove the vegetables from the cooker and add on top of the meat and spread evenly.
- Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Cover the cooking dish with a lid and place in the oven.
- If you do not have a lid then use tin foil. Cook for one and a half hours.
Step 4 (Thickening)
- Remove the stew from cooker.
- Add some extra boiled water to the stew.
- Make up the gravy and stir this into the dish slowly until mixed in evenly.
- Place the dish back in to the oven for a further thirty minutes.
How to make a Beef Stew
Your beef stew is now cooked and ready to eat!
Remove from the oven and serve.
Total preparation and cooking time of steak and vegetables is two hours and ten minutes.
Once cooked, it can be eaten with mashed potatoes and vegetables or just as it is.
You can add some shortcrust or flaky pastry to the top and cook for another forty minutes. This turns it into a delicious steak and vegetable pie.
The video is of my 83-year-old mother making braised steak.
Watch it to the very end to see some funny outtakes!