L.M.Reid creates delicious recipes and gives step-by-step instructions with her own photos so you can learn how to make each recipe at home.
Steak and Onion Pie With Shortcrust Pastry
The filling for this traditional steak pie is made with beef steak, onions, carrots, and gravy. I also use my own recipe for the homemade shortcrust pastry. There are step-by-step instructions with my own photos and videos so you can follow this recipe easily.
Preparation and Cook Time
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
2 hours 40 min
2 hours 55 min
1 large pie and 5 small pies
- 4 large pieces of beef steak, top side
- 4 large onions
- 2 medium carrots
- Tin or tube of tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of gravy powder
- 6 ounces of plain flour
- 3 ounces of butter
Step 1: Prepare the Ingredients
- Cut the ends from each onion and peel. Wash them under the cold tap.
- Cut into small pieces and add to a frying pan. You will have to do this in stages, as there will be too many onions to do it in one go.
- When each amount of onions is brown add some tomato puree and stir. Place these in a roasting dish. Continue this process until all the onions are heated and brown.
- Take out the steak and wash under the tap. Do not wash the frying pan because the juices of the fried onions will flavour the steak. Add the meat to the frying pan with a tiny bit of oil. Cook until brown and sealed on both sides. Put into the roasting dish when ready.
- Peel and grate the carrots and add to the dish.
- Pour in boiling water on top of the ingredients making sure to cover them. Cover the roasting dish with tin foil with a few holes cut in it to allow the air to escape.
Read More From Delishably
Step 2: Assemble the Pie
- Put in the oven on the highest temperature for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 220 degrees and cook for another hour.
- Prepare the gravy powder by adding 2 tablespoons to a 1/2 cup of cold water. Stir in well until blended completely.
- When the steak and onion pie has been in the oven for the time above remove the dish. The steak will still be in large pieces. Remove from the dish and put on a plate. This is the time you can cut away any excess fat you do not want as it will fall off the meat. Cut the steak up into small pieces
- Slowly while continuing to stir the meat juices add the gravy powder. When it has been mixed in well then put the steak back in the dish evenly.
- Replace the tin foil and put back in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
Step 3: Make the Shortcrust Pastry
- 6 oz plain flour
- 3 oz butter
- Use a large mixing bowl. Add the flour to the bowl by using a sieve. This will enable the air to be trapped in the mixture.
- Throw in a pinch of salt.
- Cut the butter into small pieces. Do not use the butter straight from the fridge as it will be too hard.
- Put the pieces of butter into the bowl.
- Mix with the flour using your fingers until it is a crumbly texture.
- Now you are ready for the water. Make a hole in the middle of the mixture and pour in stages mixing with a wooden spoon until the mixture is a sticky, but not too wet.
- Make into a round shape with your hands in the bowl and add a sprinkle of flour to the top of it.
- Add flour onto a tray or flat surface and take out the pastry mix.
- Turn around gently in the flour to cover all of the mixture. It should be dry on the outside and light to touch.
- Cover it and leave until needed.
Step 4: Cut the Pastry
- Cut the pastry into the size you think you will need for each dish.
- Roll out the pasty to the approximate size of your dish.
- For the pie you intend eating that night for dinner, add the pastry after about 10 minutes of cooling in the dish.
- Wet the inside of the dish with water using a pastry brush. This helps it to stick and saves the pastry from slipping down into the meat mixture.
- Cut the excess pastry off with a knife. I always add these bits to the top of the pastry because they cook crispy.
- Replace in the oven for a further 30 minutes.
- Allow the other smaller dishes to go cold before adding the pastry, as it is easier.
This Pie Freezes Well
I like to make this dish a few days before I am having visitors because it freezes very well. I take it out of the freezer in the morning when I need it and it only takes 40 minutes to cook in the oven. This is one of my favorite dinner ideas. Making homemade shortcrust pastry is cheap and fairly easy to do.