I love making tasty and nutritious dishes at home; it's a much healthier (and more cost-effective!) solution than going out to eat.
Zucchini Meatloaf Recipe
I love stuffed zucchini boats, but the zucchini I picked from the garden was small this year. I love the combination of meat and tomato sauce with zucchini, so thought I would make it inside out.
Inside Out Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
How to Cook Zucchini
Zucchini can be grilled, fried, baked, stuffed, or barbecued, with very few ingredients needed to enhance the flavor. This vegetable can grow to a meter long, but we usually eat it long before it grows to that length.
Zucchini can also be cut into slices and sautéed in butter, or chopped up to eat raw in a salad or on its own with a dip. It can be shredded and added to breads, muffins, and even omelets. In today's recipe, we bake it in a pyrex meatloaf pan, with the meatloaf.
|Prep time||Cook time||Ready in||Yields|
1 hour 15 min
Ingredients for Zucchini Meatloaf
- 1/2 cup red peppers, small diced
- 1/2 cup green peppers, small diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, small diced
- 2 whole, eight-inch long zucchini, small diced
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3 splashes Teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- sprinkle salt/pepper, to your taste
- 250 ML red pasta sauce
Read More From Delishably
Instructions for Zucchini Meatloaf
- Mix together the ground beef, ground pork, salt and pepper, red pasta sauce, ginger, and teriyaki sauce in a bowl.
- When it is totally mixed, drop the mixture from bowl onto a sheet of wax paper and roll out flat. (See picture.)
- Add peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini to the top of the flattened meat mixture.
- Then holding one edge of the wax paper, slowly roll it up so the vegetable filling will be on the inside between layers of meat. This is a bit messy, but the taste is worth the mess.
- Roll this whole boat right into a greased Pyrex baking pan.
- Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese (optional) and bake in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 45 minutes.
How To Make Zucchini Meatloaf
The Finished Version
The flavor of this dish is kicked up a notch by the presence of ginger and teriyaki.
It was hard to slice. It fell apart when I tried to serve it. The thing I would do different next time would be to shred the zucchini and cut the peppers and mushrooms smaller. Then you would have a lovely looking slice with vegetables circling the slice.
There is never any waste, as I always eat my mistakes, and this zucchini-inside-out boat was delicious. Have a great day, and thanks for reading. Leave me a comment if you have some suggestions to iron the bugs out of this recipe.