Honey Mustard Pork Chops Recipe - Delicious, Quick and Easy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- 4 pork chops
- pinch salt and black pepper
Place silver foil on grill pan
Make your grill pan easier to keep clean, as well as hotter, by adding a layer of silver kitchen foil to the base of the pan.
This not only reflects the heat allowing for quicker cooking time, it allows the pan to stay clean.
There are few kitchen jobs more annoying that cleaning ovens or grills of burnt on meat juices and spills.
Simply replace the foil after use to keep your grill pan shining and spotless.
- Place the olive oil, honey, mustard, thyme, orange zest and juice in bowl and mix well.
- Add the pork chops to the bowl and scoop the marinade over them make sure all of the chops get a covering. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover bowl with clingfilm, and set in the fridge for an hour. This allows the flavors to permeate the meat.
- Preheat the grill on its highest setting. Remove the bowl from the fridge, take out the pork chops and shake off excess marinade. Place on the grill pan.
- Place the grill pan under the heat and grill for 4 - 5 minutes each side until meat is cooked through.
- While the meat is grilling, put the remaining marinade into a pan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and check seasoning, adding more salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve each pork chop as a single portion. Drizzle a little of the marinade over each one. Serve with baby new potatoes and green beans.
- Prep time: 1 hour 10 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 20 min
- Yields: Serves 4 people 1 pork chop each.
Although I have put in a total cooking time of 1 hour and 10 minutes, most of that time is when the pork chops are marinating in the sauce.
This is actually a very quick dish to make, so long as you remember to prepare the marinade beforehand.
It is even better if left overnight as that gives the flavors longer to pervade the meat.
Nutritional Values per Portion
Can't find fresh thyme?
That was my problem. When I went shopping for the ingredients, I found I could buy parsley, sage, rosemary and a host of other herbs, but no thyme.
So I used dried thyme instead, and feel that following the instructions above did not give enough time for the dried thyme to permeate as there was very little, if any, flavor from it.
It might be a good idea to make the sauce the night before if using dried thyme.
My review of the honey mustard pork chops
I found this recipe in a magazine called Easy Food, which is attractive from its title. You know the recipes there are going to be easy to follow.
I love trying out new things, and this was a new recipe to me.
Pork chops are extremely economical to buy, but can be boring when grilled and served with the usual gravy.
The sauce that accompanies this dish is tangy and sweet all at the same time, thanks to the heady mix of orange and honey.
I forgot to buy a fresh jar of honey, and the old jar had mainly crystallized. It made no difference of course, because the marinade is melted and cooked at the end, before serving. This allows the honey to disperse back into its liquid state.
When serving, really only add a drizzle of the sauce to the meat, because while it complements the pork chops perfectly, on its own it is a bit of a disappointment.
Your guests will not want to mop up remaining sauce with the potatoes, like they would with gravy.
The taste of the honey mustard sauce is largely overshadowed by the tangy orange zest. Perhaps using a little less might have been better.
Taken on a fork with a bite of the meat, the sauce was wonderful and really added to the pork taste.
I left the table feeling I could have eaten more. One pork chop is not a lot, but better for the figure and there was sufficient food in the serving.
If you want to have two, and are feeding several people, simply adjust the ingredients to suit.
Oven bake instead of grill
An alternative way to cook honey mustard pork chops is to bake in the oven.
After reaching step 3 in the instructions above, pre-heat oven to 180°C/350ºF/gas mark 4.
Place the baby new potatoes and vegetables alongside the pork chops in the roasting tin, and cover the whole lot with the marinade.
Roast for 10 minutes uncovered until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Lemon Pork Chops with Roast Vegetables
If you are looking for a way that is a little bit different to cook your pork chops, yet is stunningly simple to make, then learn what you need to cook lemon pork chops with roasted vegetables.
More by this Author
Sometimes our morning coffee tastes better than at other times, and we may not know why, especially when we stick to our chosen brand - in my case, Nescafe's Alta Rica. Here are some wonderful hints and tips to make...