Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken Recipe
Roast Chicken Recipe
Whole Chicken Recipe
If you are looking for an easy whole chicken recipe, this lemon and herb roast chicken is one that you must try. Roasted in the oven with a delicious blend of lemon juice, olive oil, and a variety of spices gives this chicken its moist and delectable flavor. This dish is perfect to serve at a dinner party with friends or just as a tasty family meal that will satisfy even the pickiest eater.
For those families living on a budget, roasting a whole chicken can help save a lot of money as the leftovers can easily be turned into a second meal for later on in the week. Our almost 5 pound lemon and herb chicken gave our family of four enough leftovers to use in a chicken fajita casserole that we made a couple of nights later. If you would like to learn how to make this whole chicken recipe, read further for a list of ingredients and easy to follow directions with helpful step-by-step pictures.
Rate the Recipe
Lemon and Herb Chicken Ingredients
- 4-5 pound whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup onions, sliced
How to Truss a Chicken Video
If you don't have one of the above ingredients on hand, try one of these substitutions in your roast chicken recipe:
- 2 tbsp of olive oil - 2 tbsp of melted butter
- 1 lemon - 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 cup of onion slices - 4 tbsp of dried minced onion or 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp of rosemary - 1/4 tsp of thyme, tarragon, or savory
- 1/2 tsp of thyme - 1/2 tsp of basil, marjoram, oregano, or savory
Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Farenheit. Rinse the whole chicken under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Remove the bag of giblets from inside the cavity. For an evenly cooked and more attractive looking chicken, watch the video for tips on how to truss your chicken with and without string.
- Place the chicken in a 13x9 roasting pan. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from one half into a small bowl. Add the olive oil and mix well. Brush a little over half of the liquid mixture onto the outside and inside of the chicken. Save the leftover mixture to be used later.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic powder, salt, and pepper and rub on the outside and inside of the chicken. Next, mix together the parsley, rosemary, and thyme. Rub these spices all over the chicken.
- Cut enough onion slices to fill one cup and slice the remaining half of the lemon. Take all of these slices and stuff them into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the roasting pan uncovered into the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes or 20 minutes per pound of chicken. Halfway through the cooking time, baste the chicken with the remaining olive oil and lemon juice mixture.
- If using a meat thermometer, the chicken is ready when the internal temperature reaches at least 180 degrees Farenheit. You can also tell if the chicken is done by the legs moving easily in their sockets and the meat on the inside is no longer pink. Cover with aluminum foil and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
How to Make Lemon and Herb Roast ChickenClick thumbnail to view full-size
Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken Nutrition
|Serving size: 10 ounces|
|Calories from Fat||126|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 14 g||22%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 10 g|
|Carbohydrates 3 g||1%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 74 g||148%|
|Cholesterol 204 mg||68%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Roast Chicken Poll
Will you be trying this lemon and herb roast chicken recipe?
Oven Roasted Chicken Recipe
Although our family has only roasted this lemon and herb chicken recipe in the oven, I have no doubt that it tastes just as good in a crockpot or slow cooker. If you are going to be out of the house for work or errands, baste your chicken with the above ingredients and throw it in your crockpot to cook for 4-5 hours on the high setting or 8-9 hours on the low setting. I would recommend layering the bottom of the crockpot with onions cut in rings to give the chicken a good base to lay on. This onion base helps the skin on the bottom to not soak in the juices all day and gives it a chance to cook to a golden brown like the rest of this delicious chicken.
I hope you have found a delicious and easy recipe for your lemon and herb roast chicken. If you have any questions or comments about any part of the above recipe, feel free to leave these in the comment section below and I will be happy to respond. Enjoy your chicken!