Ayam Masak Kicap Pedas: Malaysian Spicy Soy Sauce Chicken
Chicken Cook in Soya Sauce Gravy
Don't be put off by the color of Soy Sauce Chicken or as we say it in Malay, Ayam Masak Kicap.
The black color of two types of soy sauce and oyster sauce, combined with tomato sauce, chilli paste and other spices will turn out into a great dish. Despite the addition of chili paste, it is not that spicy hot and is best served with steamed rice.
The long list of ingredients for chicken cooked in soy sauce may also scare you, but don't let this deter you from trying this recipe. It is easy to prepare and you will be rewarded with a sumptuous meal.
In this recipe, the gravy is thicker and you need to marinade the chicken for at least an hour. Please note that the time for marinating the chicken is not included in the preparation time. However, if you are short on time, you will still get a decent meal if you shorten or the forgo the marinating time.
I have also included photos to show the various steps in the preparation of this meal, for easy reference.
Preparation Time for Ayam Masak Kicap Pedas or Soy Sauce Chicken
Ingredients for Spicy Soy Sauce Chicken - Ayam Masak Kicap Pedas
- 6 pieces chicken, skinned, marinated in turmeric and salt (leave it aside for an hour)
- 1 stick about 2 inch long cinnamon (kayu manis)
- 1 star anise (bunga lawang)
- 2 cardamon (buah pelaga)
- 1 stick lemon grass
- 1 tbsp. chili paste, (add more if you prefer extra chilli-hot)
- 1 piece potato, thinly sliced and fried
- 2 tbsp. dark soy sauce (kicap pekat)
- 2 tbsp. sweet soy sauce (kicap manis)
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce (sos tiram)
- 1 tbsp. tomato sauce
- 1 red chili
- salt and sugar, to taste
Blend these Ingredients
- 1 medium size onion
- 5 shallots (bawang merah)
- 2 cloves garlic (bawang putih)
- 1/2 inch ginger (halia)
Instructions for Ayam Masak Kicap Pedas - Spicy Soy Sauce Chicken
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt and turmeric and set it aside for an hour. As mentioned earlier, if you are pressed for time, just rub the chicken pieces with turmeric and salt. This will still give you a decent taste without the ‘full flavor’ of the mix.
- Fry the chicken pieces that were marinated earlier, but only up to half-cooked. Remove from fryer and put aside for use later.
- Fry the potato that was finely sliced until golden brown. Put it aside for use later. (You can use the same oil that was used to fry the chicken earlier).
- Blend the items to be blended (onion, shallots, garlic and ginger) with either a blender or the traditional mortar and pestle. Put it aside.
- Using the same oil that was used earlier, fry the cinnamon, star anise and lemon grass until you get a nice fragrance.
- Then, add the coarsely blended or pounded onion, ginger, garlic and shallots. Fry until it just turns brown.
- Next, add the chili paste and fry until oil separates. Afterward, add in the four sauces, dark soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, oyster sauce and tomato sauce. Mix them together. Add salt and sugar.
- Then, add the chicken pieces to complete the main ingredients for this dish. Fry for another minute.
- Mix them thoroughly and let the gravy simmer before you add in 2 tbsp. of water. Stir and let the chicken cook in the gravy for about 10 minutes.
- Continue to stir before adding the potato pieces that were fried earlier. Let it simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Finally, add in the cut chili and stir for another minute. Ayam Masak Kicap Pedas or Spicy Soy Sauce Chicken dish is now ready to be served.
Step by Step Guide on How to Prepare Ayam Masak Kicap Pedas - Spicy Soy Sauce ChickenClick thumbnail to view full-size
Variations to Ayam Masak Kicap Recipe
After you have tried this recipe, you may want to try other versions. Here are two of my favorite versions for you to choose from.
- For extra chili hot, add 20 (yes, twenty) stalks of chili padi (bird's eye chili pepper). Add this to the items that you need to blend and follow the same instruction. Be warned, this is a very very hot version!
- For Ayam Masak Kicap Lada Hitam or Soy Sauce Chicken with Black Pepper, replace Chili Paste as in the original recipe with one tablespoon of Black Pepper. The rest of the other ingredients remain unchanged.
© 2014 Mazlan
More by this Author
Photos and information on types of banana that is suitable for frying as banana fritters. There are many varieties of bananas to choose from, so check it out here
Malaysian fried banana fritter or Pisang Goreng is a favorite tea time snack. This recipe is delicious, crispy and easy to cook. Check out also which banana variety is suitable as banana fritter
It sounds disgusting, but many swear on the health benefits of eating chicken feet, like curing joint pain an looking younger from the collagen content. Even dogs are fed with chicken feet. It's true!