Mexican King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
Mexican King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Mexican king ranch chicken casserole recipe has been around for a long time, it was a favorite for family gatherings, potlucks and just for the family. It is quick and easy to fix. It's chucked full with chicken and has tomatoes and green chilies to give it a little kick! Smothered with cheese, how could it get any better! Well it does get better, the next day it is still delicious, if you have any left! Side dishes that goes well is fresh garden salad and a chunk of Mexican cornbread! Let's eat!
- 1-3 pound chicken, boiled or baked, de-boned, diced
- 1 dozen corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomato and green chilies
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups (8-ounces) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet saute the onion and the bell pepper in hot oil over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add the diced chicken to the onion and the bell pepper mixture.
- Add the cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, tomatoes and green chilies, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and the black pepper.
- Line a greased 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish; layer one-third of the corn tortillas pieces in the dish.
- Top with one-third of the chicken mixture.Top the chicken mixture with one-third of the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat the layers twice.
- Bake for 1 hour in a 350 degrees fahrenheit oven.
Use a pizza cutter to cut the tortillas, makes it so easy!
May substitute Rotel tomatoes and green chilies with 1(10 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted, plus 1 tablespoon chili powder.
You may freeze the casserole up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and bake as directed.
Metal Pizza Cutter: My Favorite
How to Bake a Chicken
- 3 pounds chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit.
- Rinse the chicken inside and outside. Use a paper towel to pat dry.
- Place the chicken in a baking pan, rub inside and outside of chicken with olive oil. Mix together, salt, paprika, black pepper, and the cayenne pepper if using. Sprinkle inside and outside of the chicken.
- Place in the preheated 450 degrees fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 40 minutes until the meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit. Let cool 15 minutes and serve.
How Do You Like to Cook Your Chicken?
Please Rate My Recipe!
© 2016 Margie Lynn