Cooking a Whole Chicken in the Microwave
Last night I roasted a whole chicken, lightly rubbed with a little bit of olive oil and seasoning, in just 29 minutes in the microwave. Talk about making dinner a whole lot easier for a mom with a full-time job and two crazy boys running around playing ball in the house when they shouldn't be!
When I first tried this recipe, I was skeptical; could a whole chicken really cook in a microwave in only 29 minutes? But the bigger question was, would it taste good?
As it cooked, it smelled great—just like a roast chicken should smell when it is cooking. When the timer went off, I checked the temperature. I needed it to read 160 degrees, and indeed it did. I then set it on the stove, covered, for 10 more minutes in order for it to reach 170 degrees.
I was getting hopeful! It looked good and it smelled good. After 10 minutes the thermometer did indeed read 170 degrees.
For the chicken:
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
For the seasoning mixture:
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- Lightly spray a microwave-safe dish with oil.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from the chicken cavity. Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Trim excess fat if necessary. Lift wing tips up toward the neck, then tuck them under the back of the chicken. Brush chicken with oil.
- For the seasoning mixture, combine ingredients and mix well. Completely coat the entire outside of the chicken with the seasoning mixture. Place chicken breast side up in the microwave-safe dish.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 25 to 30 minutes. Check your digital thermometer. It should read 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the chicken. Remove from microwave, cover with a lid, and let rest for 10 minutes. The temperature will rise to 170 degrees F.
But How Did It Taste?
Fantastic! The seasoning was very tasty, and so was the chicken itself. It was unbelievably moist and was well received by my family. I will definitely be making this again very soon!
Mini BBQ Pork Sandwiches in the Microwave
Cooking pork in the microwave is fast when time isn't on your side. Miniature barbecue pork sandwiches are perfect for dinner when you don't have much time. The recipe is also very inexpensive to make—so if you are on a budget, it's perfect!
Yield: 8 mini sandwiches
- 1 medium onion
- 1 pork tenderloin (about 1 lb)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp smoky barbecue rub
- 8 small rolls
- Smoky barbecue sauce
- Cut onion into 1/4 inch thick slices. Arrange onion slices on the bottom of a microwave-safe dish.
- Trim the fat and silver skin from the pork tenderloin. Brush the meat with oil and then place it on top of the onions. Evenly rub the meat with the barbecue rub. Tip: Tuck the narrow end of the pork under to create a uniform thickness.
- Cover the dish and microwave on high for 6 to 10 minutes. Your thermometer should read 150 degrees F, so after the 6-minute mark, check the pork every 2 minutes until it reaches that temperature. Remove from microwave and let stand covered for 10 minutes so that the temperature can reach 160 degrees F.
- Cut pork into 1/4 inch thick slices. Arrange sliced pork evenly on all rolls, top with the onions, and finally, spread 1 tsp of the barbecue sauce over the top half of the roll. Top each sandwich and serve.
But How Did It Taste?
So fantastic! My young boys loved it, too. It's a great dinner for weeknights when there is so little time, and you don't want to waste it all cooking. Try it and enjoy!