How to Cook Brisket In A Slow Cooker
Slow Cooker Brisket Recipe
This is my recipe for Slow Cooker Brisket. For a great variation, try adding cola to the basting or cooking fluid! Beer is also a great baster for brisket or fluid to cook it in.
Actually this recipe is good for any time but Super Bowl Sunday is a great excuse to make it. While brisket is not one of the most tender cuts of beef, if cooked properly and most importantly slowly, it has wonderful flavor and can quickly become a household favorite.
When I think of brisket, I can't help but hear the scream in my head 'Hoooowwarrd' from Big Bang Theory when Howard's mom is 'talking' to him. It seems on that show that they are always talking about her making a brisket - and that they are always screaming back and forth!
I have always made my slow cooker pulled beef or sliced beef with pot roast but actually the brisket is equally tasty if cooked properly. Make sure to allow plenty of time to cook it and time to test for tenderness. If needed, cook a bit longer as it should slice easily. If you are expecting a crowd, add Super Bowl sliders or if you have more than one crock pot, do pulled pork or chicken for sandwiches. For an appetizer, try Chinese egg rolls.
Photo Credit: WikiCommons Flickr upload Bot
Brisket in the Slow Cooker
1 fresh beef brisket (2-1/2 pounds) cut in half (or substitute pot roast equivalent)
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup beef broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons onion soup mix
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
12 hamburger buns, split or mini potato rolls split or hoagie rolls cut in half or thirds
- In skillet, brown the brisket in oil on all sides.
- Place the brisket in a 3-quart crock pot.
- Use the same skillet and sauté celery and onion for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the broth, tomato sauce and water.
- Stir to loosen browned bits from the meat.
- Add sugar, soup mix and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or 4-5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Let stand about 5 minutes and then slice.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid. Thicken if desired.
- Serve meat in buns with cooking juices.
Prep 20 min Cook 7 hours
10 servings at least