Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings Recipe from Scratch
Home Made Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
Fall Comfort Food- Home Made Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and dumplings pops up in my house quite often in the fall and winter. It is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. It sticks to the ribs and tastes like a dream.
I make my own chicken stock for this but if you must, you can use a store bought cans or boxes of pre-made broth although I don't recommend it. When you make your own stock, it does make a difference in any dish whether it be soup or this fantastic chicken and dumplings recipe. Making it yourself allows you to develop and tweak the stock to your own liking which in return, makes anything that your home made stock is used in taste much better to you.
This is especially good the day after it is made. Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge or even frozen. It is the best fast food in the world. Just warm it up and you are ready to go.
It travels well for lunches at work or school too! Fill a thermos or a lidded bowl with a little bit of heaven to make lunch time even better. There's no reason why anyone has to eat peanut butter or cold lunch meat sandwiches for lunch everyday.
Chicken and dumplings is excellent served with a hard crusty bread, rolls or biscuits or even by itself. It's especially good when served in a bread bowl. Then again, what dish isn't?
Prep and Cook Time for Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 cups chicken stock
- chicken pieces pre-cooked
- 1 1/2 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon sifted baking powder
- salt to taste
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings Step by Step in PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Make Home Made Chicken and Dumplings
- Warm the chicken stock on low heat until it is hot. Remove 1 cup of stock from the pot and set it aside. You will use that cup of stock as the liquid to make the dumplings.
- If the chicken stock doesn't already have chicken pieces in it, add the amount of chicken that you want for the dish in with the broth. Make sure the chicken is already fully cooked before adding it. You could use commercially canned chicken if you are in a pinch but it's better to use fresh. Heat until steaming but not to a boil.
- Now start making the dumplings. Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl.
- Slowly add the 1 cup of chicken stock that you have set aside to the sifted flour mixture. Mix it gently.
- Let the dumpling dough that you just created rest for a few minutes. This will make the dumplings fluffier!
- Drop by 1/4 teaspoons into the simmering chicken stock. Keep going until all of the dumpling dough is used up.
- The dumplings will expand a bit as they cook.
- Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Simmer on low heat for about an hour, until the stock thickens and the dumplings are completely cooked. Don't forget to occasionally stir it. Otherwise it can scorch on the bottom and once that happens, the batch is ruined because you can't get the burnt taste out.
- Any leftovers can be kept in the fridge or frozen for a future meal. This chicken and dumplings is especially good the day after it is made. *Because of the dumplings, pressure canning is not an option for this dish.
Hopefully you will go on this home made comfort food adventure by making your own old fashioned chicken and dumplings. It tastes so much better than what comes out of a can from the store. It is more nutritious, doesn't have all of the salt, preservatives and artificial ingredients that come along with the processed food that a lot of people choose to eat.
Once you start making your own food with fresh ingredients from scratch, you'll find that you never want to venture back into the canned varieties again.
By Helena Ricketts
More by this Author
Chicken stock doesn't have to come out of a can or a box. It is one of the easiest things that can be made in the home kitchen for use in soups, chicken and dumplings or any other recipe that requires it. This is my...
How many times have you found a chicken pot pie recipe only to be disappointed by the ingredients of canned soups or pre-packaged seasonings? This recipe is fresh ingredients, healthy and very tasty!
Cleaning chicken feet is quick and easy. In less than 30 minutes, you can have them ready for using in broth and other interesting recipes.