Crispy Orange Chicken Recipe
Best Home-Cooked Meal for Dinner
Are you out of ideas for what to cook for your family? Are you tired of making the same few recipes over and over? I have the answer for you: crispy orange chicken. It's easy to prepare and absolutely delicious to eat.
Orange chicken is a popular dish in Chinese restaurants all over the world. I first tasted this dish in Malaysia, where I grew up. Quickly, it became one of my favorite dishes to order when going out for Chinese food.
This particular recipe requires a marinating step, which adds a bit of extra time to the preparation. The results, however, are worth it.
This dish is perfect when served with steamed rice as well as a side dish such as stir-fried vegetables. If you have leftovers, save them in a container and store them in the fridge.
For the chicken and marinade:
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 5 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water (add more if the batter is very thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup orange juice (add more if you want more sauce)
- 2 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, combine the salt, pepper, cornflour, egg, and water. Stir to combine.
- Add oil to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Combine the chicken with the mixture. Coat the chicken evenly. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and let it sit in the fridge for 1 hour before frying.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Place coated chicken pieces into the pan gently, using tongs, to avoid splashing oil.
- Fry the chicken, flipping each piece every 2 minutes. Cook until the pieces turn golden brown. Continue frying the chicken until it's all done. Set aside.
- Heat another pan over low heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water. Stir well. Set aside.
- Fry the minced ginger, garlic, and chili flakes for a few minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, orange juice, and cornstarch mixture.
- Add the vinegar into the pan and stir to combine.
- Add the fried chicken into the pan. Coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Place the chicken in serving bowl or plate. Garnish with chopped cilantro and sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately with steamed white rice.
Photo TutorialClick thumbnail to view full-size
© 2020 Liza