Quick and Easy, Scrumptious Chicken Parmesan Recipe
This is a really simple dish that delivers a huge punch. We love anything with cheese and pasta sauce in this house. I made this one night for a date-night meal, paired with spaghetti, asparagus, and garlic bread for a deliciously fancy dish. Follow this up with some candlelight and soft music, and you've got the formula for romance.
But for real, this dish is equally good served when you have family or friends visiting, or just want a nice meal to serve your family. My toddler was a big fan of this dish. Of course, he just got the leftovers. You can't go wrong with these great ingredients.
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 1 regular egg
- 1 slice bread
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, separated
- 1 (24 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 inch spaghetti (2 servings)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and spray an 8x8 casserole dish thoroughly with cooking spray.
- Set aside two bowls, one for coating your chicken and one for breading it.
- In the first bowl, crack a single egg and scramble it lightly. Set this aside for when you're ready to bread your chicken.
- For the other bowl, we are going to start by processing up a single slice of bread in your food processor. You could always use pre-packaged breadcrumbs, but I find that they make your food rubbery.
- Dump your breadcrumbs into your bowl along with your tablespoon of garlic powder.
- Next add your basil and oregano.
- And finally add your cup of Parmesan cheese and mix everything together well.
- Now take your thawed chicken breasts, and one at a time, coat them in your egg and then in your breadcrumbs. It may help to use a fork or thongs to flip your chicken so you aren't getting your hands messy.
- Once coated, add both chicken breasts to your casserole dish, pour the rest of your breadcrumbs over the top and bake for an hour.
- About 10-20 minutes before your chicken is done, fill a medium pot with water and add your spaghetti noodles. I find it helps to sprinkle some salt in the water first and to break your noodles in half.
- Cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes at medium to medium high heat. I suggest making any vegetables at this time as well.
- When your chicken is done, pull it out of the oven and change your oven setting to low broil.
- Spread a layer of pasta sauce over the top of each chicken breast, sprinkle your shredded mozzarella over the top and finally top with your last bit of Parmesan cheese.
- Pop these back in the oven to broil for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve atop or along with spaghetti and pasta sauce with veggies. I would also highly suggest some garlic bread. Yum!
|Serving size: 1 chicken breast|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 17 g||6%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 44 g||88%|
|Cholesterol 88 mg||29%|
|Sodium 400 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
For some reason, this time the chicken breasts we got at the store were huge. The dinner turned out amazing, but we both agreed that the chicken breasts could have been pounded down thinner and could have been cut in half before breading and cooking.
But sometimes little details like that just aren't possible when you have an infant in your arms through the whole process. For those of you that find yourself in the same situation or similar, the dish turned out great anyway.
I also chose to bake my chicken rather than the more traditional version of this dish where the chicken is fried, mostly because it's so much healthier. Frying your chicken breasts and substituting out my bread crumbs for panko crumbs would be another improvement on the crunchiness of the chicken.
However you end up making your chicken Parmesan, I hope you enjoy it!
- Mexican King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
Looking for a delicious Mexican chicken recipe? I have a recipe that will be a keeper in your recipe box! This recipe has been around a long time. It's a favorite for special gatherings, potlucks or just for the family. For sides, add a vegetable gar
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Victoria Van Ness