Recipe for Ground Beef Pie
How to Make a Ground Beef Pie
Making a ground beef pie is quick and easy, and it gives you a very tasty meal. In this article, I show you how to cook a hamburger stew that can also be used in a variety of other dishes. This is my ground beef mince recipe with step-by-step instructions and my own photos so you can follow the recipe easily.
Prep Time and Yield
- Preparation time: less than 5 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 ½ lbs mince steak
- 2 large onions
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 bowl frozen peas
- 1 Tablespoon tomato puree
- Small amount gravy
These vegetables should also be chopped up into small pieces.
- 2 small mushrooms
- ½ small pepper
- 4 green beans
Ingredients for Pastry
- 6 ounces all-purpose/self-raising flour
- 3 ounces butter
- Pinch of salt
- Cut up the onions into fairly small pieces.
- Cut up the tomatoes into fairly small pieces.
- Grate the carrot.
- Add the cooking oil and onions to the pot. Cook for approx 1 minute until the onions are brown.
- Add the grated carrot and the tomatoes.
- Keep back a quarter of the tomatoes.
- These will be added at the very end of cooking in order to keep their shape.
- Add any extra vegetables that you have decided to include.
- Put the pot back on the cooker and mix in these vegetables for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and mix for another minute.
- Add the mince to the pot and mix well as it cooks.
- A wooden spoon is best to use for its strength.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and the remainder of the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Make up the gravy and stir this into the pot slowly and continuously until mixed in evenly.
- The amount of gravy used will depend on your preference for how you like the finished dish.
Total preparation and cooking time for this ground beef recipe is 45 minutes approximately. This mince beef dish can now be used to make other variants of main meals.
How to Make Shortcrust Pastry
- Use a sieve to add all purpose flour to the mixing bowl. so that you are adding as much air as possible.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour.
- Mix with your fingertips until it is a crumbly texture.
- Make a hole in the middle of the mixture and add water.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is a sticky.
- Add some flour to the mixture and remove it from the mixing bowl in one piece.
- Roll out the pasty to the approximate size of your dish.
Variants on using the stew recipe in different dishes.
- Accompanied by pasta.
- Accompanied by spaghetti.
- As the main ingredient of one large or a few smaller cottage pies.
- With shortcrust pastry
- As cooked and accompanied by mashed potatoes and vegetables.
- As the main ingredient of one large or a few smaller puff pastry pies.
This mince and vegetable recipe is very easy to freeze and loses none of its taste when reheated. It can be frozen in individual small portions for one or in larger family portions.