Quite Possibly the Easiest, Fastest, Cheapest, and Healthiest Meal Ever
What Meal Could Possibly Be All Of These Things?
Answer: b rown rice, ground turkey, and freshly steamed kale—the superfoods of all superfoods!
During my college days, this meal got me through a lot of hungry and financially starving nights. Taking the $10 I had available and matching that with a bit of creativity and knowledge, I came up with this dish.
As of now, this dish remains nameless. Ideas such as 'Super Fuel', 'Meal of Gods', and 'Kale Cook-Up' didn't quite make the cut, but were heavily appreciated. If any ideas for a name come to mind, please drop them in the comments section below.
I am open to ALL suggestions!
Why Is This Meal the Cheapest and Healthiest Meal Ever?
Brown Rice is sometimes seen as White Rice's ugly cousin - but it is substantially healthier for you. Brown Rice is actually what White Rice looks like before it undergoes its Refined Makeover. The Refining process strips rice of its natural wholeness of fiber, proteins, thiamine, calcium, magnesium and potassium, while Brown Rice contains them all.
*Depending on the brand and size, Brown Rice could cost between $1-$3.
Ground Turkey is my favorite meat substitute because it is leaner than most and insanely delicious. Depending on the brand, Ground Turkey could be up to 93% leaner than most ground meats. Ground Turkey is also one of the few high protein/low fat meats out there, ranking in at 22g of protein.
*Depending on the brand and size, Ground Turkey could cost up to $4.
Fresh Kale…oh, Kale. How I love thee! Kale is a Super-food because it is dripping (well, maybe not dripping) with vitamins A, C, and K. What's vitamin K, you ask? Well, vitamin K is typically used in medicine to prevent blood-clotting. Its function in Kale, however, is to promote a healthy blood-flow, which in turn promotes a faster metabolism!
*Depending on the market, Fresh Kale could cost up to $2.
Happy Healthy Eating!!!
How Long Will This Take Me?
- 4 oz Fit and Active Ground Turkey
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Garlic, Chopped
- 1 Pack Uncle Ben's 90 Second Microwavable Brown Rice
- 3 oz Fresh Kale
5 Easy-to-Follow Steps
- Remove Ground Turkey from package and place into frying pan, flattening onto the surface. Add any seasonings that you prefer. Turn stove on to low-medium temperature or '4' if using an electric stove. Brown meat until fully cooked and remove frying pan from burner to prevent over-cooking.
- Take Fresh Kale and rinse-clean in the sink. (You will not need a strainer but can use one if you prefer.) Next, tare Kale leaves off of the vine and place leaves into preheated sauté pan along with a bit of water, discarding the vines. (Small frying pan will suffice.) Since Kale cooks down relatively slower than most fresh green vegetables, place stove temperature on high or '6', if using an electric stove. Mix in 1tbsp of Fresh Chopped Garlic and cover with a lid.
- Place Uncle Ben's 90-Second Brown Rice into microwave while Kale is cooking. (Easy-to-follow directions on package.)
- After your microwave sounds, remove lid from Kale and stir contents around to prevent burning. Allow Kale to continue cooking for 3-5 minutes, placing the lid back on. After Kale has cooked down, turn off stove and remove pan from burner. Kale should be crunchy but not raw.
- Grab a bowl. Place Brown Rice in the bowl first, then Ground Turkey, and lastly Kale on the top. The brown rice should be fluffy, the ground turkey should be juicy and flavorful, and the kale should be crispy but not raw. Bon Appetite!
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|Carbohydrates 46 g||15%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Protein 29 g||58%|
|Sodium 129 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Test Your Knowledge!view quiz statistics
Thank you all so much for taking the time out to read my recipe! Hopefully, this recipe becomes one of your favorite go-to meals and you can share this recipe with others who are interested in eating cheap and healthy. Don't forget to leave any comments & prospective names for this meal in the comments section below.